FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » FoxTrot Pro 6.6.3 (built 1988) installation slows down all of our Macs and even the network when opening the index-file
FoxTrot Pro 6.6.3 (built 1988) installation slows down all of our Macs and even the network when opening the index-file [message #999] Tue, 18 February 2020 11:27 Go to next message
Sascha Ballweg
Messages: 2
Registered: February 2020
Junior Member
Hi, I need some help, please! Our FoxTrot Pro 6.6.3 (built 1988)
installation slows down all of our Macs and even the internal network and
the web-access, when opening the index-file.

The problem has been around for about half a year (maybe longer or shorter
because time is flying by these days).


*The index has a size of 3,1 GB* and there are 718 GB free on my HD.

The location of the index is local > library > FoxTrot


iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) 3,4 GHz Intel Core i5

MacOS *Mojave 10.14.6* (18G103)


I start FoxTrot via the app "DelayedLauncher" with a delay of 300 seconds
after the last autostart app.


For the settings please take a look at the attachements...
Re: FoxTrot Pro 6.6.3 (built 1988) installation slows down all of our Macs and even the network when opening the index-file [message #1000 is a reply to message #999] Tue, 18 February 2020 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
Messages: 348
Registered: April 2020
Senior Member
> Sascha Ballweg wrote:
>
> Hi, I need some help, please! Our FoxTrot Pro 6.6.3 (built 1988) installation slows down all of our Macs and even the internal network and the web-access, when opening the index-file.

It seems your WorkMirror drive is a network volume, which may be the cause of this slowness, depending of the speed of your access to this volume. If this volume is a shared folder folder from another Mac, one solution would be to use the index sharing functionality of FoxTrot Pro 5-user, so the index will be built and updated on your distant machine, instead of through the network.

You may also consider creating multiple index files, and having different schedules for those: a frequent schedule for the index containing local files that are updated frequently, and a less frequent one (or no schedule at all) for your WorkMirror drive, or for large files you update less frequently.


You have a schedule to update your index at 12:10 PM, which should be executed if your Mac is not in sleep mode at this time, even if FoxTrot is not launched. If your Mac was powered off at the specified time, the missed schedule will not be executed; if it was in sleep mode at the specified time, the update will be executed when waking up the machine (even if the application is not launched).

In your screenshot, your last updated ended yesterday at 12:47, so I think it should have no reason to update today at 11:25; did you manually update your index? Was your Mac shut down, or sleeping, or logged to a different macOS user account, before you launched FoxTrot this morning?

Indexing slows down your machine, especially if you have a hard drive and no SSD, but it should remain usable. This can however depend on many factors (size of the index, number of files that have been modified, size and type of these files, and of course, network drives may be very slow, depending of your network and of the location of this drive…).

Jérôme - Foxtrot Engineering

--

---


Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Re: FoxTrot Pro 6.6.3 (built 1988) installation slows down all of our Macs and even the network when opening the index-file [message #1001 is a reply to message #1000] Wed, 19 February 2020 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sascha Ballweg
Messages: 2
Registered: February 2020
Junior Member
Thank you very much for your answer! To make a long story short: Everything
worked fine until about 6 months ago.

Some answers; Yes our "WorkMirror" drive is a network volume. On this
volume we store all our work in the first place, which should not be
unusual in a small team environment.
"WorkMirror" is a Synology NAS Volume and it is not underpowered, based on
the indicator within its Admin-Panel. We only create smaller files and not
so many of them.

I I have a SSD but will create different schedules for the local and the
network-volume. But as I already told you;
the network-volume is the one all work is done onto and FoxTrot is
therefore not the right product to do the job on a network volume?
It would be great if FoxTrot would recognize and store saves and changes
made in realtime, so the indexing would only run for maintenance reasons,
from time to time.

But it's not long ago, that all went fine.
So my guess is, that the problems are within the code of FoxTrot.

Kind regards, Sascha

Am Dienstag, 18. Februar 2020 12:54:43 UTC+1 schrieb CTM Engineering:
>
>> Sascha Ballweg wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I need some help, please! Our FoxTrot Pro 6.6.3 (built 1988)
> installation slows down all of our Macs and even the internal network and
> the web-access, when opening the index-file.
>
> It seems your WorkMirror drive is a network volume, which may be the cause
> of this slowness, depending of the speed of your access to this volume. If
> this volume is a shared folder folder from another Mac, one solution would
> be to use the index sharing functionality of FoxTrot Pro 5-user, so the
> index will be built and updated on your distant machine, instead of through
> the network.
>
> You may also consider creating multiple index files, and having different
> schedules for those: a frequent schedule for the index containing local
> files that are updated frequently, and a less frequent one (or no schedule
> at all) for your WorkMirror drive, or for large files you update less
> frequently.
>
>
> You have a schedule to update your index at 12:10 PM, which should be
> executed if your Mac is not in sleep mode at this time, even if FoxTrot is
> not launched. If your Mac was powered off at the specified time, the missed
> schedule will not be executed; if it was in sleep mode at the specified
> time, the update will be executed when waking up the machine (even if the
> application is not launched).
>
> In your screenshot, your last updated ended yesterday at 12:47, so I think
> it should have no reason to update today at 11:25; did you manually update
> your index? Was your Mac shut down, or sleeping, or logged to a different
> macOS user account, before you launched FoxTrot this morning?
>
> Indexing slows down your machine, especially if you have a hard drive and
> no SSD, but it should remain usable. This can however depend on many
> factors (size of the index, number of files that have been modified, size
> and type of these files, and of course, network drives may be very slow,
> depending of your network and of the location of this drive…).
>
> Jérôme - Foxtrot Engineering

--

---
Re: FoxTrot Pro 6.6.3 (built 1988) installation slows down all of our Macs and even the network when opening the index-file [message #1002 is a reply to message #1001] Wed, 19 February 2020 10:23 Go to previous message
FoxTrot Engineering
Messages: 348
Registered: April 2020
Senior Member
Sascha Ballweg wrote:

> "WorkMirror" is a Synology NAS Volume and it is not underpowered

> the network-volume is the one all work is done onto and FoxTrot is
> therefore not the right product to do the job on a network volume?

FoxTrot is of course the right product to do the job on a network volume, as long as the speed and responsiveness of your network is in adequacy with the number and size of the files stored on it, and with the frequency they are updated.

As you report some slowness on your internal network and the web-access, I would suspect a not so fast local network. If you access this drive through Wi-Fi, I would certainly start by checking its actual performance.


Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------
"Works perfectly, I can search through nearly 1TB of files (almost
200,000 of them) in a matter of seconds. I've never found anything
else to compare with it, not DEVONthink or Yojimbo or Evernote or
Leap or Yep any other program. It searches through my files perfectly,
it ranks the results, it previews the files. It does what I want
perfectly."
FoxTrot Professional Search user comment

Download a demo version from www.foxtrot.ch
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------


Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Previous Topic: EML Quicklook plugin for Catalina
Next Topic: CTM Development SA existe t'elle?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Dec 09 20:42:59 CET 2022