FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Highlighted results shown in Preview Pane (FT Pro)
Highlighted results shown in Preview Pane (FT Pro) [message #1069] Wed, 24 June 2020 15:26 Go to next message
AJKS
Hi I'm using the latest beta of FTPro (Version 7.0b9 build 2297) on Mac OS Catalina 10.15.5 (all the latest)

I've done a proximity search and several documents are listed, but the preview pane is not showing the highlighted search phrases with FoxTrot Preview.

OK I've read the stuff on the website about using Xpdf instead etc etc and tried it. No change.

I'm thinking, must be a problem with my PDFs.
I exported a sample PDF to a different document (Save as PDF). No change.

I clear the OCR layer in my document and re-do the OCR. No change.

I even export the whole document to PNGs, create a new PDF and run OCR. No change.

However, when I do a different search, "consecutive words" and not "neighbouring words", I get the search highlights in my document. Hooray but WTF???

So it seems to be an issue with the proximity search, not the actual PDF or the OCR.

But then I run a test search with a different search phrase, and the preview highlighting works perfectly!!

Does this make sense to anyone??

Thanks!!

[Updated on: Wed, 24 June 2020 15:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Highlighted results shown in Preview Pane (FT Pro) [message #1070 is a reply to message #1069] Wed, 24 June 2020 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJKS
This search has problems:

Contents only - Includes neighbouring words - Max distance 20 words - "ira progoff" journal* therap*

I don't see highlighted results when I run this search

A simpler search gets the expected results

Contents only - Includes neighbouring words - Max distance 5 words - the fires of hitler

Also

Contents only - Includes consecutive words - the fires of hitler

By doing these searches the results are shown in the preview.
Re: Highlighted results shown in Preview Pane (FT Pro) [message #1073 is a reply to message #1069] Thu, 25 June 2020 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
Quote:
I've done a proximity search and several documents are listed, but the preview pane is not showing the highlighted search phrases with FoxTrot Preview.
You can option-click the found file (or, with version 7, use the new "display type" popup menu in the toolbar) to show the plain text that was actually indexed; it should then highlight the words correctly.
If you copy the paragraph containing the found words, from the PDF view and paste it to a text document, does it look different from what is shown when you option-click the found file?

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Re: Highlighted results shown in Preview Pane (FT Pro) [message #1074 is a reply to message #1073] Fri, 26 June 2020 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJKS
When I do the search…

Contents only - Includes neighbouring words - Max distance 20 words - "ira progoff" journal* therap*

…I get the same results with FoxTrot Preview and with option-click or Plain Text Preview.

17 documents are listed but NOT ONE will show highlighted search results in the preview pane.
Some of these documents are PDFs with OCR, some are true PDFs, and some are EPUBs.
None of them show the highlighted words in the preview pane.

If I double-click the document listed in the search results list, it opens but does not show the highlighted words.
And it just crashed while I did that.

BUT it works (with some files at least) if I change the search parameters to this:

Contents only - Includes neighbouring words - Max distance 20 words - ira progoff journal* therap*

And double-clicking the files to open them works properly too (again, with some files)

The problem appears to be caused by the search phrase in quotes “ira progoff”
Also searching inside documents (FTPro) using a search phrase inside quotes makes for zero results.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 June 2020 00:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Highlighted results shown in Preview Pane (FT Pro) [message #1075 is a reply to message #1074] Fri, 26 June 2020 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
Ah OK, I get it. Combining a quoted string and a wildcard word using proximity searching actually works for finding the document, but not for highlighting the results. We will take a look at it.

Thanks for the report!

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Re: Highlighted results shown in Preview Pane (FT Pro) [message #1076 is a reply to message #1075] Fri, 03 July 2020 12:01 Go to previous message
AJKS
Hi,

Still having this issue with beta 11.

Previous Topic: nested or concatenated proximity searches for strings
Next Topic: Search token highlight color bug
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 19:18:27 GMT+2 2024