FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » server mode box integration
server mode box integration [message #1164] Tue, 16 March 2021 04:44 Go to next message
ObnoxiousKiwi
I have a multiuser license and would like to share my index with the rest of my team so they can see how useful foxtrot is without having to maintain their own index.

Our enterprise only offers box for sharing so I would like a way to share my index and use box as the remote share option.

Im on mac and my colleagues are a mix of windows and mac. My box share is over 100G so I cannot ask everyone to clone and download my box folder. The intention would be to share my index and if a user double clicks on a file, it would download from box. Box is shared via a mount.

Has anyone done this?
Re: server mode box integration [message #1165 is a reply to message #1164] Tue, 16 March 2021 09:13 Go to previous message
FoxTrot Engineering
As you have a multi-user license, you can use FoxTrot's client/server sharing; it can be enabled from the Sharing pane of the Manage Indices window. However, this requires two things:
- you can only share your index to Macs on the same local network (if you want to share an index worldwide, you need FoxTrot Server, and have your machine accessible using a fixed IP address or domain name, or configure a NAT router)
- you must ensure that "File Sharing integration" is properly configured, so the path to the indexed files can be resolved from client machines (whether they are stored locally on your machine in a shared folder, or on Box). In the other case, clients will only see a plain text version of the found files.

Directly sharing the index file is not something that we support.

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Previous Topic: Interaction in the settings between macOS and Foxtrot regarding folders excluded from Spotlight
Next Topic: info about FTFileIndexer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 09:08:53 GMT+2 2024