FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » info about FTFileIndexer
info about FTFileIndexer [message #1166] Tue, 16 March 2021 11:02 Go to next message
imwaiting
Hi,
I have a question for the product that I'm testing and I'm new about its use : whats about the FTFileIndexer process that I see in "outgoing" from my firewall ..?
tks
Re: info about FTFileIndexer [message #1167 is a reply to message #1166] Tue, 16 March 2021 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
FTFileIndexer (usually shown as "FoxTrot Indexer (Main Index)" in Activity Monitor) is FoxTrot Personal Search's indexer process; it opens a network connection so that the FoxTrot main application can connect to it, however this connection is bound to the local machine: you can't connect to this process from another machine on your local network, nor from anywhere else. You can verify this using Activity Monitor: select the "FoxTrot Indexer (Main Index)" process, click the info button, and switch to the "open files and ports" tab. Near the end of the list, the network port should appear like this:
localhost:{portNumber}
If the connection was not bound to the local machine, it would appear as:
*:{portNumber}

The same applies for FoxTrot Professional, but in this case the process is named FTProFileIndexer, and is shown as "FoxTrot Pro Indexer ({indexName})" in Activity monitor. Only if you have a multi-user license and enable index sharing, this process can open its connection to remote machines, and in this case only Activity Monitor should show an "*:{portNumber}" entry.

I am not sure if your firewall should report as "outgoing" network connections bound to localhost.

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
icon14.gif  Re: info about FTFileIndexer [message #1168 is a reply to message #1166] Tue, 16 March 2021 11:36 Go to previous message
imwaiting
thanks for your very clear reply.
Previous Topic: server mode box integration
Next Topic: Speed blows me away!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:01:16 GMT+2 2024