FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Speed blows me away!
Speed blows me away! [message #1169] Fri, 26 March 2021 20:27 Go to next message
Steven Miller
I was one of the early customers (2006) and I remember when it took the better part of the day to index my files which were far, far fewer. I just indexed 580,000 files (3GB index) in less than 10 minutes. I thought I must have done something wrong but no. Between the SSD, the FT upgrades, and the M1 chip, I am blown away by the speed.

Kudos, I must day!

Re: Speed blows me away! [message #1170 is a reply to message #1169] Fri, 26 March 2021 21:29 Go to previous message
CTM info
Hello Steven,

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, I remember the early performance on PDFs in 2005; our FoxTrot core search engine was fast in PowerMail on text, but the extraction of data in the first FoxTrot product was in line with the CPU performance then.

Over the years we've tried to keep up with the architecture modernizations and harness the multi-core capabilities, as well as the M1 chip performance.

Of course there also is what in french is called a "rebound effect", whereby the speed gains delivered by the M1 chip also encourage people to throw spectacular amounts of data at FoxTrot Pro, quantities that far exceeded our design goals even for FoxTrot Server - and yet it just gets the job done.

Best regards,

jean michel/ctm qa
Previous Topic: info about FTFileIndexer
Next Topic: The Spotlight importers are disabled or broken.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:20:36 GMT+1 2024