FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » "Devonthink 3 Spotlight" as a predefined location
"Devonthink 3 Spotlight" as a predefined location [message #1216] Fri, 04 June 2021 10:32 Go to next message
schak
I'm running FTP on two machines. Both instances differ in how I can create indices. On one of them I get "Devonthink 3 Spotlight" as a predefined location, on the other one I don't. I have to make do with a "custom folder", which works in a way, but I don't like the experience (only plain text previews...)

So what could be missing here? Both machines are largely identical in terms of configuration.

[Updated on: Fri, 04 June 2021 10:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: "Devonthink 3 Spotlight" as a predefined location [message #1217 is a reply to message #1216] Tue, 08 June 2021 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
There are two different things you might want to index in DEVONthink:
- its Spotlight index
- the files stored in its database

FoxTrot shows one or both of these in the predefined locations, when it finds them.

The spotlight index is optional; if your DEVONthink database is configured to have no Spotlight index, FoxTrot won't find it.

Files stored in the database are normally not indexed, as you are supposed to use the Spotlight index instead. If however you prefer to index them, FoxTrot lets you do so, if the database is stored in the default location, which used to be: {home folder}/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3. However in recent DT versions, the default location is now {home folder}/Databases, so it won't be found by current FoxTrot version. In addition, it seems even the previous default location is not correctly indexed by FoxTrot, we will fix that. In the meantime, if you want to index the files in your DT database:
- locate you DT database (either in "Application Support", or in "Databases", or in any custom location you used)
- right-click the .dtBase2 file, and select "show package content"
- drag the "Files.noindex" to FoxTrot's liust of indexed locations

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Re: "Devonthink 3 Spotlight" as a predefined location [message #1218 is a reply to message #1217] Tue, 08 June 2021 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
schak
Thank you! But in fact, my DEVONthink databases ARE definitely indexed by Spotlight. So what could prevent Foxtrot from finding those indices?
Re: "Devonthink 3 Spotlight" as a predefined location [message #1219 is a reply to message #1218] Tue, 08 June 2021 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
FoxTrot shows the "DEVONthink 3 Spotlight" location when the following folder is found: "{home folder}/Library/Metadata/com.devon-technologies.think3". Does it exist on your machine? If not, where are stored the DEVONthink items that Spotlight finds (command-double-click one in Spotlight to reveal it in the Finder)?

Re: "Devonthink 3 Spotlight" as a predefined location [message #1220 is a reply to message #1219] Tue, 08 June 2021 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
schak
Yes, this folder does exist. However, I changed the name of my {home folder} a few weeks ago. Could it be that Foxtrot somehow still points to the old - now obsolete - location?

(I've come across this idea already, so I re-installed Foxtrot. But that didn't help...)
Re: "Devonthink 3 Spotlight" as a predefined location [message #1231 is a reply to message #1220] Wed, 16 June 2021 11:30 Go to previous message
FoxTrot Engineering
Renaming your home folder confuses FoxTrot, at least when your indices are stored in the default location ({home folder}/Library/FoxTrot) or if you index some data stored in your home folder.

When you do so, you need to "close" your indices, in the "manage indices" window, then re-open them (using the + button, or by locating them in the Finder (press the option key in the "go" menu to reveal {home}/Library, then navigate to FoxTrot) and double clicking them, or dragging them to the manage indices window). Then you need to verify, for each index, that every indexed location is correctly defined; you may need to disable or remove old locations, then re-enable or re-add them. Then you need to update or rebuild each index.

As for the "DEVONthink 3 Storage" predefined location (if you prefer indexing the files you put in DT, rather than use DT's Spotlight cache), it was not working correctly in FoxTrot 7.0, and this will be fixed in 7.1.

Previous Topic: Possible to duplicate files and their indexes on new volume?
Next Topic: Missing Space within Clause
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:33:47 GMT+1 2024