FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Foxtrot is failing to index files embedded in deeper subfolders
Foxtrot is failing to index files embedded in deeper subfolders [message #1299] Mon, 15 November 2021 08:16 Go to next message
Des Bw
In a previous post, I was complaining that Foxtrot is failing to index RTFD files.

After some experimentation, I learned that the problem is not from the file type. It is with the folder hierarchy.

As it turn out, Foxtrot completely fails to index files that are embedded deeper than 5 folder hierarchies.

I used to index a folder in Dropbox which contains my notes. The folder has a couple of subfolders.

My index used to contain 4,842 files. Once I directly index the subfolders, the number of files indexed immediately grew to 9,819. Foxtrot was not indexing all the files that are deeply embedded; which happen to be the case with files managed by Curiota.

This is strange behavior. Other user need to be aware of this shortcoming.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 November 2021 08:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Foxtrot is failing to index files embedded in deeper subfolders [message #1302 is a reply to message #1299] Mon, 15 November 2021 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
Not sure what is happening in your situation, but the cause is certainly not the depth of folder hierarchy. What happens if you create a new index, with default settings and no black list, and index your shallowest folder?

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Re: Foxtrot is failing to index files embedded in deeper subfolders [message #1306 is a reply to message #1302] Fri, 19 November 2021 06:32 Go to previous message
Des Bw
I am sorry guys, it was all my fault.

As it turn out, re-installing the Dropbox client has moved my old files to another folder, and created empty folders in the home folder. That is why Foxtrot was missing them in the normal/home position.

Previous Topic: How to Contact Purchasing
Next Topic: Attache ipad and dropbox
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 18:41:58 GMT+2 2024