FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » BUG: Not seeing keyword highlights
BUG: Not seeing keyword highlights [message #1459] Sat, 18 June 2022 09:00 Go to next message
Atlas
When I use Foxtrot Query and apply the search string ["Amazon Simple" object* "object key"], I get the follow file just fine. However, when I look at the highlight preview pane, the string "object key" is not showing up in the highlights, even though "Amazon Simple" is. If I open the file inside Foxtrot, I still cannot see "object key" in the highlights, unless I clear the search field in the document and search specifically only ["object key"]. If I search for [object* "object key"] inside the document, only "objects" will be highlighted.

I'm pretty sure this is a bug?
Re: BUG: Not seeing keyword highlights [message #1490 is a reply to message #1459] Tue, 12 July 2022 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Atlas
Please let know if there's any update on this?? Is is a bug??
Re: BUG: Not seeing keyword highlights [message #1491 is a reply to message #1490] Tue, 12 July 2022 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
In our current implementation a word or piece of text can only be attributed to a single query element; as [object key] occurrences are already partially highlighted for matching [object*], they are not highlighted for matching [object key].
Changing this would require a lot of testing and could lead to unexpected behavior, as this has been implemented in order to avoid highlighting some words multiple times in other circumstances, like proximity searches etc.

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Re: BUG: Not seeing keyword highlights [message #1492 is a reply to message #1491] Sat, 16 July 2022 07:05 Go to previous message
Atlas
Thanks for the explanation of current limitation. However, this needs to be better documented so that users can better understand what to expect. If a user is searching for ["Amazon Simple" object* "object key"], and a result file comes up, they will expect that somewhere in the highlights is going to be at least one occurrence of "object key". Users need to know that the highlight panel will only show partial search results when the search string contains wildcard such as [object*]. Thanks again for the explanation of current behavior.
Previous Topic: Search history
Next Topic: BUG: Cannot combine Foxtrot Query's exclusion syntax across multiple search fields
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:24:30 GMT+1 2024