FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Is it advisable to index html files as txt?
Is it advisable to index html files as txt? [message #1547] Mon, 31 October 2022 09:42 Go to next message
Atlas
I'm aware that some html files need to use the Gumbo importer instead of the default Spotlight importer to search accurately. But what about telling Foxtrot to index html files as just txt files? Wouldn't that completely solve the problem of not knowing which importer to use? Perhaps I'm missing something. Thanks.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 October 2022 09:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Is it advisable to index html files as txt? [message #1549 is a reply to message #1547] Mon, 31 October 2022 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Atlas
I tried editing the original post and found that I cannot. I cannot delete the thread either.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 October 2022 23:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Is it advisable to index html files as txt? [message #1550 is a reply to message #1547] Tue, 01 November 2022 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
Indexing HTML files as plain text would usually give unexpected results:
- it would index every HTML tag, as well as javascript source code etc
- it would not not decode HTML entities (accented letters and special characters encoded in US-ascii)
- it would not handle character set encodings (UTF-8, ISO-8859-1 etc) properly
- etc

However if you actually need to index them as source code files rather than for their displayed content, you can use the Aliases hidden preference. We recommend using PrefsEditor instead of the command line to set this preference.

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Re: Is it advisable to index html files as txt? [message #1552 is a reply to message #1550] Wed, 02 November 2022 04:55 Go to previous message
Atlas
Thank you. This is helpful info to know what to expect if html is indexed as source code.
Previous Topic: Indexing is stuck with HIERARCHICAL EXCEPTION CAUGHT
Next Topic: What counts as "Any Metadata"?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 16:07:27 GMT+1 2024