FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » BUG: The new hidden pref UseFullPathForParentFolder doesn't seem to work
BUG: The new hidden pref UseFullPathForParentFolder doesn't seem to work [message #1592] Sat, 10 December 2022 11:56 Go to next message
Atlas
These are the steps I took:

1. Updated to Version 7.5.3
2. Use Prefs Editor (as recommended) to turn on the preference UseFullPathForParentFolder
3. Restarted my entire system (not just the app)
4. Create new index that targets a folder named "History and ethics of the Village Idiot", which has 5 files in it
5. Run a new search with the following criteria:

(1) Apply "Any file or folder"
(2) Second criteria use "Apply advanced filter" -> Other metadata -> "Contain any of the strings" -> "Ignore Case"+"Ignore Composition"+"Multiple String"+Turn off all other options -> Apply search string "idiot"
(3) I changed the default multiple string separator in advanced search to "," which is a comma with no space before or after.

6. Result: ONE result, which is a file that contains "idiot" in its name.

Expected Results: If the hidden preference "UseFullPathForParentFolder" indexes the full path of the parent folder (as described in version release), then the above search should return at least FIVE search results right? There are five files inside the indexed folder, whose parent folder contains "idiot" in its name.

Re: BUG: The new hidden pref UseFullPathForParentFolder doesn't seem to work [message #1607 is a reply to message #1592] Mon, 02 January 2023 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Atlas
Happy New Year! I've been waiting to hear back on this bug report. Did Foxtrot Engineering get a chance to look into this? Did I report an incorrect bug, or is it an issue that could be fixed in updates? Thanks.
Re: BUG: The new hidden pref UseFullPathForParentFolder doesn't seem to work [message #1609 is a reply to message #1592] Wed, 18 January 2023 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Atlas
Can Foxtrot Engineering please chime in on this bug report? I would like to know if it's verified bug. Thanks.
Re: BUG: The new hidden pref UseFullPathForParentFolder doesn't seem to work [message #1612 is a reply to message #1592] Wed, 18 January 2023 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
The cause of the problem is that [Other metadata] has a different meaning when searching (i.e. [Other metadata] [includes all of the words]) and when filtering (i.e. [then apply advanced filter] [other metadata] [contains the string]).

In the first case, [other metadata] includes the parent folder name (or relative or absolute path when setting the hidden preferences), but in the latter case, it does not (it only includes some "uncategorized" metadata). This is not coherent, thus in version 7.5.4 this will change and filtering [other metadata] will also include the the parent folder name (or path).

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Re: BUG: The new hidden pref UseFullPathForParentFolder doesn't seem to work [message #1613 is a reply to message #1612] Thu, 19 January 2023 04:29 Go to previous message
Atlas
Thanks. It's a good feature. I want to make sure it's working as intended.
Previous Topic: BUG: Foxtrot crashes when viewing DJVU files
Next Topic: Performance gains using new apple hardware - experiences?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 17:04:53 GMT+2 2024