FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Search for Files modified today (Can you Search for just files modified today)
Search for Files modified today [message #1617] Wed, 08 February 2023 21:37 Go to next message
jim mager
Is there a way to just search for files that have been modified today without adding any text in parameter.

I know the date can't be the first parameter but is there anyway to trick it to do this. LOL!!

Thanks!!
Re: Search for Files modified today [message #1618 is a reply to message #1617] Tue, 14 February 2023 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJKS
I use HoudahSpot to do this sort of search on files, I use FTPro to search in files.

I see this as the difference between searching data or searching metadata.

Or, I don't know how to do that with FoxTrot.
Re: Search for Files modified today [message #1620 is a reply to message #1618] Wed, 15 February 2023 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Atlas
I thought you could use "Then apply filter by Spotlight attribute" > "Modified" > "=d" > [pick today's date]. <--- But it doesn't work. Also tried the Spotlight attribute "Content modified". Shouldn't this work??
Re: Search for Files modified today [message #1622 is a reply to message #1617] Wed, 15 February 2023 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johseb
It should be possible, performing first a search that matches all files and folders in your index

[All items of type][Any file or folder]

and then applying a date filter

[Then filter by date][Modification date][is today]
Re: Search for Files modified today [message #1627 is a reply to message #1617] Thu, 16 February 2023 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim mager
So I found a way to do it:

Search settings

1. Set: "All Items of Type" -- "Any File or Folder
2. Set: "Then Filter by Date" -- "Modification date: Is Today

Works great...now if I can only figure out how to blacklist folders instead of files only.

[Updated on: Thu, 16 February 2023 22:09]

Report message to a moderator

icon14.gif  Re: Search for Files modified today [message #1628 is a reply to message #1622] Thu, 16 February 2023 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim mager
Thanks...wish I would have read your post first. LOL!
Re: Search for Files modified today [message #1630 is a reply to message #1628] Fri, 17 February 2023 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johseb
"Slicing filters" in the left sidebar are a useful tool.
In this case you can use the filter "by Item kind" (which must be active, with check box marked).

1. If you only want Folders: simply click the item type "Folder"

2. If you only want files: click one item type, press ⌘A to select all of them, click on "Folder" to unselect it. If you only have 2-3 types, an alternative possibility is to click all types except "Folder" (but notice that you have to ⌘-click to add additional types after the first one).
Re: Search for Files modified today [message #1632 is a reply to message #1627] Fri, 17 February 2023 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johseb
Reading your post again I realized I misunderstood it and replied as you were trying to limit search results to file only or folders only.
I'll leave my previous post in place just in case a reader is really trying to limit the search as described.
Re: Search for Files modified today [message #1635 is a reply to message #1627] Tue, 21 February 2023 11:07 Go to previous message
FoxTrot Engineering
Quote:
now if I can only figure out how to blacklist folders instead of files only
Not sure what you mean exactly.
If you want to omit files in a specific folder when performing a search, there is no way to do so.
You may however skip files in certain folders at indexing time, using the "skipping these subfolders" list in the "indexed data" pane. This is only available for custom folders, so if you need for example to skip a subfolder in the Documents folder, create a custom folder location for "Documents" instead of selecting the predefined location.
You may then create multiple indices, and by selecting all of them or only some of them when performing a search, choose the folders you want to search or not.

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Previous Topic: Can I have a Chinese user-interface with FoxTrot 7 professional?
Next Topic: Gumbo is not indexing entire file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:35:49 GMT+1 2024