FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Search for exact string doesn't work if the string contains "^"
Search for exact string doesn't work if the string contains "^" [message #1678] Sun, 16 July 2023 12:18 Go to next message
Atlas
Actions taken:

1. Add search condition that file content contains the string "foxtrot".
2. Add search condition that "Content" must "Includes the exact string", and I use the search string [^(?!.*(transfer] <--- The search string is wrapped around square brackets, but it doesn't contain square brackets. I uncheck all the ignore options.

Results:

It seems to search for the string "transfer" and ignore the rest of the symbols in the exact string.

However, if I drop the "^" at the front of the search string and search with only [(?!.*(transfer], then it will work as expected. I know the symbol "^" is used to search for exact string in Foxtrot Query, so I would understand if this search string is causing issues in Foxtrot Query, but in this case I'm using the "Includes the exact string" option to do the search. Why is the character "^" being treated differently under the "Includes the exact string" option?

[Updated on: Sun, 16 July 2023 12:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Search for exact string doesn't work if the string contains "^" [message #1679 is a reply to message #1678] Tue, 18 July 2023 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
^ is the delimiter for exact string queries, in the FoxTrot Query syntax, and thus an exact string search can't currently include such character. We will try to add a workaround in a future version.

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Re: Search for exact string doesn't work if the string contains "^" [message #1680 is a reply to message #1679] Wed, 19 July 2023 05:26 Go to previous message
Atlas
I've asked this question before and you didn't respond so I'll ask here again: Please also add a way to work around the delimiter symbol [`] in Foxtrot Query for regular expression. Currently, I don't see a way to use regular expression in Foxtrot Query if it contains [`].
Previous Topic: License Registration will Not Contact Server
Next Topic: Fuzzy search filenames by default
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 22:13:36 GMT+2 2024