FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Indexing takes forever (Trying to index network drive never finishes)
Indexing takes forever [message #1697] Mon, 28 August 2023 12:50 Go to next message
Carfra
Helo,
I've been trying to get support via the Pro Support but they never answer. Maybe I'll have more success here.

So I've set up FoxTrot to index some Folders on a Synology NAS and it used to work fine but for some reason for about two months now FoxTrot never finishes indexing. There are only PDFs on this Drive and its been trying to update about 600 files for a month always claiming it needs 22 h for the 600 files. I tried rebuilding the index but it just keeps indexing forever. The index size so far is 43 MB.
The file it claims to be indexing is not in the resource hog list.

Maybe someone has a suggestion?
Thank You!
Kind Regards

cat

Re: Indexing takes forever [message #1699 is a reply to message #1697] Tue, 29 August 2023 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CTM info
Hello,

First, one area of concern on our end - we have not a single pending message from your email address in our direct support queue. Although we can sometimes be delayed, we cannot answer what has not reached us.

This being said, in the case you mention, I would tend to suspect an issue with the NAS server or client which would be out of our court.

If you wish to regress this, try:

- copying the 600 messages to a local volume of yours first, and
- index the folder containing just the copied files.

Then we can know if the server/client I/O trips in the read, and/or whether FoxTrot chokes on a file.

Regards,

jean michel/ctm qa
Re: Indexing takes forever [message #1712 is a reply to message #1699] Thu, 12 October 2023 12:45 Go to previous message
Atlas
Just as another data point for others who might experience the same issue ... indexing over a NAS can take a very long time, and it's mainly due to the NAS protocol you're using it. It's not just indexing, but usually ANY file operation over a NAS will take longer (rename, move, delete, etc.) . I don't know what protocol Synology NAS is using, they seem to perform faster than most.
Previous Topic: FEATURE REQUEST - Active Directory integration
Next Topic: Feature request: make selection of metadata importers a per-index option
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 03:32:19 GMT+2 2024