FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » It's a paid upgrade -- you'll learn after you install and try to use it
It's a paid upgrade -- you'll learn after you install and try to use it [message #577] Fri, 14 July 2017 18:24 Go to next message
John Askins
Messages: 9
Registered: July 2017
Junior Member
So I have used and liked FoxTrot Pro for some time, but I'm a little
annoyed by this 6.0 upgrade, first because I didn't see any notice that it
would require a fresh payment until after I upgraded, and second because it
doesn't seem to index Scrivener files any longer. An upgrade is supposed to
improve things, right? I'd like to go back to 5.7 but not sure how.
Re: It's a paid upgrade -- you'll learn after you install and try to use it [message #578 is a reply to message #577] Fri, 14 July 2017 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steven Miller
Messages: 32
Registered: August 2012
Member
In fairness, don’t all “point upgrades” generally involvement payment?

In any event, for me this was a major upgrade that solved a number issues I was having.

> On Jul 14, 2017, at 6:24 PM, John Askins wrote:
>
> So I have used and liked FoxTrot Pro for some time, but I'm a little annoyed by this 6.0 upgrade, first because I didn't see any notice that it would require a fresh payment until after I upgraded, and second because it doesn't seem to index Scrivener files any longer. An upgrade is supposed to improve things, right? I'd like to go back to 5.7 but not sure how.
>
> --
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "foxtrot-search" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to foxtrot-search+unsubscribe«~at~»googlegroups«|dot|»com .
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout .

--

---
Re: It's a paid upgrade -- you'll learn after you install and try to use it [message #579 is a reply to message #577] Sat, 15 July 2017 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
Messages: 385
Registered: April 2020
Senior Member
John Askins wrote:

> I didn't see any notice that it
> would require a fresh payment until after I upgraded

This is the first item in the release notes (in bold and red) which are displayed in the new version notification window. If you enabled "automatically download and install updates" in the preferences, paid upgrades should not NOT be installed automatically.

> doesn't seem to index Scrivener files any longer.

Nothing should have changed in this regard.
You can check that the Scrivener metadata importer is found by pressing the command and option keys while launching FoxTrot, then tick "Manage third-party metadata importers".

> I'd like to go back to 5.7 but not sure how.

It seems that our archive for earlier versions is currently offline on our website, but we will fix this ASAP:
http://ctmdev.com/download/index.html


Jérôme - CTM Engineering


------------------------------------------------------------ ---------
"FoxTrot is enormously superior to Spotlight. (...) Much more efficient
than Spotlight in narrowing down search results to highlight just the
ones you want. (...) Absolutely first class product."
FoxTrot Personal Search user comment on www.versiontracker.com


Download a demo version from www.foxtrot.ch
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------


Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Re: It's a paid upgrade -- you'll learn after you install and try to use it [message #1717 is a reply to message #579] Fri, 20 October 2023 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJKS
Messages: 48
Registered: June 2020
Member
I don't think anyone cares but my take is this:

Increase in first number = Major upgrade, plenty new things, you pay money.

Increase in first decimal number = Minor feature added, bonus!

Increase in second decimal number = Bug fix, extra bonus!!

Thank you



Re: It's a paid upgrade -- you'll learn after you install and try to use it [message #1736 is a reply to message #1717] Fri, 17 November 2023 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Atlas
Messages: 130
Registered: August 2009
Senior Member
I don't mind paying for upgrades, but I don't have the confidence to upgrade to version 8 mainly because Foxtrot doesn't seem responsive to bug reports. New software releases usually have a period of instability in the beginning, when it's really important to fix bugs quickly, and I don't have the confidence that Foxtrot will do that with version 8 given my recent experiences. For example, I get radio silence when I send bug reports, and I don't even know if I've sent them to the right place, because Foxtrot doesn't even confirm that it receives the message.

Version 7 is not perfect, but it seems stable enough that I can continue to depend on it for now.
Re: It's a paid upgrade -- you'll learn after you install and try to use it [message #1747 is a reply to message #577] Mon, 11 December 2023 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJKS
Messages: 48
Registered: June 2020
Member
I hear what you say. FTP 8 seems to have some added features, but mostly they don't apply to me.

The OCR feature would be a bonus, but as I have already invested in four other programs to handle PDF files, including doing OCR, I don't have an urgent need to upgrade.

Version 7 however no longer works on my Apple silicon Mac Studio with Sonoma, so I'm currently using the (second) beta of version 8.

I will upgrade to version 8 when it is out of beta but not because the new version offers me anything new.

I guess everybody has different needs?

Nothing can replace FTP in my work and research, so I don't have a problem with continuing to support the company and the product.

I agree with the comments about the devs being better at communicating and acknowledging bug reports, feature requests, etc.

All the same, I imagine they are all doing the best they can—and perhaps they need to hold down other jobs, support their families, do their national service, go on holiday too?

FTP is essential for my work and research, it's stable and it works, it's affordable and the upgrade price is a good and fair discount to existing customers.

I hope they can avoid the Adobe model of "software rental". OK it's not just Adobe, but I stopped using Adobe and now use the Affinity Suite instead because of Adobe's switch to a subscription model.

That's all.
Re: It's a paid upgrade -- you'll learn after you install and try to use it [message #1748 is a reply to message #1747] Tue, 12 December 2023 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Atlas
Messages: 130
Registered: August 2009
Senior Member
Wait, what??? FTP version 7 is not supported on Apple Silicon with Sonoma?? The product page says it supports "macOS 10.14 Mojave or later".
Re: It's a paid upgrade -- you'll learn after you install and try to use it [message #1750 is a reply to message #1748] Sat, 23 December 2023 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJKS
Messages: 48
Registered: June 2020
Member
It wasn't working for me.
Re: It's a paid upgrade -- you'll learn after you install and try to use it [message #1751 is a reply to message #577] Sun, 24 December 2023 14:55 Go to previous message
Atlas
Messages: 130
Registered: August 2009
Senior Member
Ok, I see on Foxtrot's download page now:  "FoxTrot 7.5.6 - macOS 10.14 Mojave to 13.x Ventura"  <--- I guess the main benefit if version 8 is it supports Sonoma.  Well, I'm not going to get on Sonoma for at least another year, so I guess the timing works out.
Previous Topic: Foxtrot seems confused with certain unicode characters
Next Topic: Unexpected behavior when searching for single character with Foxtrot Query
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Jul 12 21:40:49 GMT+2 2024