FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Indexing Thunderbird not working
Indexing Thunderbird not working [message #1798] Mon, 29 April 2024 19:02 Go to next message
Grant Barrett
I am trying to index a local installation of Thunderbird storing Gmail mail, set to save locally. However, nothing indexes. Thunderbird is set to "Allow Spotlight to search messages." Both "Mozilla Thunderbird Message Store" and "Mozilla Thunderbird Spotlight Cache" are selected in the relevant FoxTrot index just in case one works if the other doesn't. Right-clicking on them in FT takes me to the correct folder, so I know it finds *something." It's a 97GB "Profiles" directory in this path that drills down to this relevant directory containing files with the names of my Gmail labels: /Users/user/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/{string}.default-re lease/ImapMail/imap.gmail.com. In the Thunderbird Settings > Server Settings > Message Store Type, this is shown in the dropdown, though grayed out: "File per folder (mbox)". Can you help?
Re: Indexing Thunderbird not working [message #1799 is a reply to message #1798] Fri, 03 May 2024 16:18 Go to previous message
Grant Barrett
The solution is to remove the Gmail account from Thunderbird, follow these instructions to turn on "maildir" storage in Thunderbird, and then re-add the Gmail account. It's a pain in the butt because I have 1.5 million email messages and Thunderbird is slow (and that's a CLEAN email box with very little junk; but it is more than 26 years of email) but it does work.
Previous Topic: Some PDFs unable to be OCRed by Foxtrot or PDFkit
Next Topic: Search Bookmarks: criteria saved out of order
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 08:31:27 GMT+2 2024