FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » How to set FoxTrot Pro to deal with Synology NAS?
How to set FoxTrot Pro to deal with Synology NAS? [message #742] Wed, 23 May 2018 09:07 Go to next message
Zig Zag
Hello,

I came across a few topics here about Synology NAS but I still do not know
the details how to put up FoxTrot Pro to do index from files/e-mails/e-mail
archives stored in NAS.

Could you please help me in this matter. I would prefer a step by step
description or offer me please some "literature for dummies".

My copy's version is 5.7.1 build 1442.

Many thanks.

Zagon
Re: How to set FoxTrot Pro to deal with Synology NAS? [message #744 is a reply to message #742] Fri, 25 May 2018 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
Zig Zag wrote:

> I came across a few topics here about Synology NAS but I still do not know
> the details how to put up FoxTrot Pro to do index from files/e-mails/e-mail
> archives stored in NAS.
>
> Could you please help me in this matter. I would prefer a step by step
> description or offer me please some "literature for dummies".

If you have a single-user license and want to use search your NAS from a single Mac, then you just need to add your NAS to the "custom folders", in the "indexed data" tab of the "manage indices" window. Either drag and drop your NAS (or some specific subfolders) from the Finder, or click the "+" icon and select it.

If you want to search your NAS from multiple Macs, then you need a 5-user license or more; create an index dedicated to your NAS (in addition to local indices you don't want to share), then share it from the "sharing" tab. Make sure that "file sharing integration" is correctly configured, so when you connect to the index from another Mac, the files will actually be found on the NAS drive.

Jérôme - CTM Engineering

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------
"To find such ‘needles’ in your ‘haystack’ you really need a
professional-grade search tool and so far FoxTrot is my favorite
choice."
FoxTrot Professional Search user comment

Download a demo version from www.foxtrot.ch
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------

--

---

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Re: How to set FoxTrot Pro to deal with Synology NAS? [message #756 is a reply to message #744] Tue, 29 May 2018 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zig Zag
Dear Jérôme,

Thank you very much for your assistance. It works beautifully.

Best wishes,

Zagon

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 9:18:30 AM UTC+2, FoxTrot Engineering wrote:
>
> Zig Zag wrote:
>
>> I came across a few topics here about Synology NAS but I still do not
> know
>> the details how to put up FoxTrot Pro to do index from
> files/e-mails/e-mail
>> archives stored in NAS.
>>
>> Could you please help me in this matter. I would prefer a step by step
>> description or offer me please some "literature for dummies".
>
> If you have a single-user license and want to use search your NAS from a
> single Mac, then you just need to add your NAS to the "custom folders", in
> the "indexed data" tab of the "manage indices" window. Either drag and drop
> your NAS (or some specific subfolders) from the Finder, or click the "+"
> icon and select it.
>
> If you want to search your NAS from multiple Macs, then you need a 5-user
> license or more; create an index dedicated to your NAS (in addition to
> local indices you don't want to share), then share it from the "sharing"
> tab. Make sure that "file sharing integration" is correctly configured, so
> when you connect to the index from another Mac, the files will actually be
> found on the NAS drive.
>
>
> Jérôme - CTM Engineering
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------ ---------
> "To find such ‘needles’ in your ‘haystack’ you really need a
> professional-grade search tool and so far FoxTrot is my favorite
> choice."
> FoxTrot Professional Search user comment
>
> Download a demo version from www.foxtrot.ch
> ------------------------------------------------------------ ---------
>
>

--

---
Re: How to set FoxTrot Pro to deal with Synology NAS? [message #1386 is a reply to message #744] Wed, 30 March 2022 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adv Mac
Jerome,

The only way I could get FoxTrot to index our Synology NAS was to mount the NAS share on the Mac Desktop, then add the folders as you described.
If the NAS share is not on the Dssktop, FoxTrot indexing fails to update and the clients cannot access the views of the files.

Is the only method for Indexing the NAS to have the share mounted on the Desktop?

Is it possible to provide the network path to the folder on the NAS share for FoxTrot to maintain the connection (ex. smb://ipaddressofNAS/Share/Folder)? If so, can you provide specific setup instructions for that configuration?

Thank you
Re: How to set FoxTrot Pro to deal with Synology NAS? [message #1389 is a reply to message #1386] Fri, 01 April 2022 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
I am not sure if you use a single-user license on a single Mac, or have a multi-user license to share an index between multiple Macs.

In the first case yes, you can only update the index when the NAS is mounted on your Mac. You can however view a plain text version of the found files when the NAS is not mounted (if "store document textual contents" is enabled in the index settings).

In the second case, the Mac that owns the index should have the NAS volume mounted when the index is updated. If "file sharing integration" is enabled and correctly configured (in the "sharing" tab), then when another Mac connects to the shared index, FoxTrot will propose to mount the NAS volume (if disconnected), so the files will be accessible. If the volume can't be mounted, then the plain text version of found files will be displayed.

Re: How to set FoxTrot Pro to deal with Synology NAS? [message #1395 is a reply to message #1389] Tue, 05 April 2022 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adv Mac
Jerome,

Thank you for your answer. This clarifies what I suspected.

The solution is pretty fantastic. It's especially nice to have the thumbnails available to reveal even more detail about the search.

I would recommend, if there's a way, to setup the indexing to perform without the need for the volumes to be mounted on the Desktop.

This has created a bit of a security issue for us, since the indexing Mac is accessed by various staff for other tasks and now they have access to shares on that Mac local Desktop that we desire to keep private.

If a solution for that becomes available, please send an announcement.

Regards,

Seth
Re: How to set FoxTrot Pro to deal with Synology NAS? [message #1400 is a reply to message #1395] Tue, 05 April 2022 09:50 Go to previous message
FoxTrot Engineering
If I understand correctly your situation, the Mac hosting the FoxTrot index is physically used by various people who should not have access to the NAS; in this situation, you can probably use "fast user switching" (in the "login options" of the "users & groups" system preference pane), then use a dedicated macOS user account for FoxTrot, and leave the machine accessible to people with the "guest user" account, or another account. Volumes mounted from a user session should not be accessible from other sessions.

Previous Topic: BUG: Foxtrot seems to crash when switching between quicklook window and Foxtrot
Next Topic: Preference to keep the search history for good
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:17:41 GMT+1 2024