FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Display of results is in not formatted text
Display of results is in not formatted text [message #941] Thu, 28 November 2019 14:50 Go to next message
Awal
Dear CTM,

Since a little while, the display of my research results is not formatted
text.

I need to recover the original format of my docs on display.

1/ Is this problem due to the fact that I have too many docs?

2/ How can I know if I have too many documents (I noticed that the research
engine is quite slow).

3/ Since the beginning I am trying to save my docs in pdf format as much as
possible, thinking it would be the best for the efficiency/velocity of the
research engine, is it the case?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards,

Alice
Re: Display of results is in not formatted text [message #942 is a reply to message #941] Thu, 28 November 2019 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CTM info
hello,

Thank you for your message. For such cases I would recommend that you use the support case mechanism in the Foxtrot application so that we do not burden the mailing list with individual cases.

This being said, what you’re witnessing is the manifestation of a loss of connection to the source data path. in other words, the Finder is not displaying the volume with the same name or access path as when you initially indexed. This could be an unmounted hard disk or server or a change in the organization of your data, folder or volume names.

In order to resolve this, either restore the access path to what it was when you initially indexed; or verify the second pane of the Manage indices window (you should have no grayed folders) and then update your index.

Kind regards,

jesn michel/ctm qa

> On Nov 28, 2019, at 2:50 PM, Awal wrote:
>
> 
> Dear CTM,
>
> Since a little while, the display of my research results is not formatted text.
>
>
>
> I need to recover the original format of my docs on display.
>
> 1/ Is this problem due to the fact that I have too many docs?
>
> 2/ How can I know if I have too many documents (I noticed that the research engine is quite slow).
>
> 3/ Since the beginning I am trying to save my docs in pdf format as much as possible, thinking it would be the best for the efficiency/velocity of the research engine, is it the case?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Alice
> --
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "foxtrot-search" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to foxtrot-search+unsubscribe«~at~»googlegroups«|dot|»com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/foxtrot-search/7aede001-b7 0f-45eb-ac09-bc5cb6637674%40googlegroups.com.
>

--

---
Re: Display of results is in not formatted text [message #943 is a reply to message #941] Thu, 28 November 2019 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
> 2/ How can I know if I have too many documents (I noticed that the research engine is quite slow).

There is no arbitrary limit to the number of documents you index, nor to their size.

Regarding performance, are you talking of indexing speed, or search speed? And what do you mean by "quite slow"?

Indexing a large collection of large files can take some time (possibly hours), however updating the index should usually not take more than a few minutes, as most of the files have probably not changed since the last update. Version 7 (a beta version will be made available here soon) will be much faster than version 6 for indexing.

Some specific documents can deteriorate the index file, making both indexing, updating and searching much slower than it should. We call these "resource hogs" («boulets» in the french version), and you can check if you have some at the bottom of the indexed locations list, in the "indexed data" pane of the "manage indices" window. Having a few resource hog files is generally not a problem, but having lot of them is. Hog files can be large files containing non-linguistic text (logs, database dumps, large tables of numerical values, hexadecimal, base64 or other encoded data…), binary files with a text-file filename extension, PDF files (usually OCR'ed documents) where many words are either concatenated or split in multiple parts, files parsed using an incorrect character set, etc.

If searching is slow, make sure that the relevance slider (in the relevance categorizer, in the left column of the search window) is not set to "all". Some specific queries can be slow, i.e. when using wildcards (*) patterns that match many many different words, when using [includes neighboring words] along with very common words, or when using some filters (e.g. regular expression) etc. Otherwise, searching should rarely take more than a few seconds.

> 3/ Since the beginning I am trying to save my docs in pdf format as much as possible, thinking it would be the best for the efficiency/velocity of the research engine, is it the case?

Not necessarily; it really depends of the original format of your documents, and how you convert them to PDF. FoxTrot has some specific features when displaying PDF files (support of the table of content, display of page thumbnails), but otherwise it should have decent support for other formats (docx, html…) and may index them faster.

Jérôme - Foxtrot Engineering

--

---

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Re: Display of results is in not formatted text [message #944 is a reply to message #942] Thu, 28 November 2019 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awal
Dear Jean-Michel,

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Alice

> Le 28 nov. 2019 à 14:58, ctm-info«~at~»ctmdev«|dot|»com a écrit :
>
> hello,
>
> Thank you for your message. For such cases I would recommend that you use the support case mechanism in the Foxtrot application so that we do not burden the mailing list with individual cases.
>
> This being said, what you’re witnessing is the manifestation of a loss of connection to the source data path. in other words, the Finder is not displaying the volume with the same name or access path as when you initially indexed. This could be an unmounted hard disk or server or a change in the organization of your data, folder or volume names.
>
> In order to resolve this, either restore the access path to what it was when you initially indexed; or verify the second pane of the Manage indices window (you should have no grayed folders) and then update your index.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> jesn michel/ctm qa
>
>
>
>> On Nov 28, 2019, at 2:50 PM, Awal wrote:
>>
>> 
>> Dear CTM,
>>
>> Since a little while, the display of my research results is not formatted text.
>>
>>
>>
>> I need to recover the original format of my docs on display.
>>
>> 1/ Is this problem due to the fact that I have too many docs?
>>
>> 2/ How can I know if I have too many documents (I noticed that the research engine is quite slow).
>>
>> 3/ Since the beginning I am trying to save my docs in pdf format as much as possible, thinking it would be the best for the efficiency/velocity of the research engine, is it the case?
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your help.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Alice
>>
>> --
>>
>> ---
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "foxtrot-search" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to foxtrot-search+unsubscribe«~at~»googlegroups«|dot|»com .
>> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/foxtrot-search/7aede001-b7 0f-45eb-ac09-bc5cb6637674%40googlegroups.com .
>>
>
>
> --
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "foxtrot-search" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to foxtrot-search+unsubscribe«~at~»googlegroups«|dot|»com .
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/foxtrot-search/E593FA76-45 38-4916-8098-D08005A0AF6F%40ctmdev.com .

--

---
Re: Display of results is in not formatted text [message #945 is a reply to message #943] Thu, 28 November 2019 18:36 Go to previous message
Awal
Thanks a lot for your precious help.

I am going to go through every step you mention.

Best regards,

Alice Wallard

> Le 28 nov. 2019 à 16:34, Foxtrot Engineering a écrit :
>
>
>> 2/ How can I know if I have too many documents (I noticed that the research engine is quite slow).
>
> There is no arbitrary limit to the number of documents you index, nor to their size.
>
> Regarding performance, are you talking of indexing speed, or search speed? And what do you mean by "quite slow"?
>
> Indexing a large collection of large files can take some time (possibly hours), however updating the index should usually not take more than a few minutes, as most of the files have probably not changed since the last update. Version 7 (a beta version will be made available here soon) will be much faster than version 6 for indexing.
>
> Some specific documents can deteriorate the index file, making both indexing, updating and searching much slower than it should. We call these "resource hogs" («boulets» in the french version), and you can check if you have some at the bottom of the indexed locations list, in the "indexed data" pane of the "manage indices" window. Having a few resource hog files is generally not a problem, but having lot of them is. Hog files can be large files containing non-linguistic text (logs, database dumps, large tables of numerical values, hexadecimal, base64 or other encoded data…), binary files with a text-file filename extension, PDF files (usually OCR'ed documents) where many words are either concatenated or split in multiple parts, files parsed using an incorrect character set, etc.
>
> If searching is slow, make sure that the relevance slider (in the relevance categorizer, in the left column of the search window) is not set to "all". Some specific queries can be slow, i.e. when using wildcards (*) patterns that match many many different words, when using [includes neighboring words] along with very common words, or when using some filters (e.g. regular expression) etc. Otherwise, searching should rarely take more than a few seconds.
>
>> 3/ Since the beginning I am trying to save my docs in pdf format as much as possible, thinking it would be the best for the efficiency/velocity of the research engine, is it the case?
>
> Not necessarily; it really depends of the original format of your documents, and how you convert them to PDF. FoxTrot has some specific features when displaying PDF files (support of the table of content, display of page thumbnails), but otherwise it should have decent support for other formats (docx, html…) and may index them faster.
>
>
> Jérôme - Foxtrot Engineering
>
> --
>
> ---
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to foxtrot-search+unsubscribe«~at~»googlegroups«|dot|»com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/foxtrot-search/5A5935EC-78 80-45AA-9FF5-B23E48C2A46E%40ctmdev.com.

--

---
Previous Topic: how do I transfer the original license to the new machine
Next Topic: Search includes neighbouring words
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:48:47 GMT+1 2024