FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » only mail messages (emlx files) showing as plain text in preview and quick look window (all other file types are correctly formatted)
only mail messages (emlx files) showing as plain text in preview and quick look window (all other file types are correctly formatted) [message #968] Tue, 31 December 2019 14:25 Go to next message
Maarten Onland
hi,

This problem started since I upgraded to Mac OS Catalina (clean install).
This also happened to another machines I have upgraded (install on top of
old version).

I have a problem with mail messages showing up as plain text in the preview
window and in the popovers, however they do show correctly formatted in the
"Quick Look" screens.
Also my email emlx icons are "white", but that seems to be a system wide
problem.

I do not have this problem with the other files types: pdf, word etc, they
all show correctly formatted.

I have tried to solve it using a local index, but that does not work
either. It fails to show emlx files correctly.

Does anybody have an answer?

thanks

Maarten
Re: only mail messages (emlx files) showing as plain text in preview and quick look window (all other file types are correctly formatted) [message #973 is a reply to message #968] Wed, 01 January 2020 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
> Maarten Onland wrote:
>
> I have a problem with mail messages showing up as plain text in the preview window and in the popovers, however they do show correctly formatted in the "Quick Look" screens.

Yes, for an obscure reason, on 10.15 the Quick Look engine can't be used directly from FoxTrot for emlx files, although there is no problem with other file types, and the Quick Look window itself (which lacks highlighting etc) is OK.

Thanks for the report

Jérôme - Foxtrot Engineering

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Re: only mail messages (emlx files) showing as plain text in preview and quick look window (all other file types are correctly formatted) [message #991 is a reply to message #973] Tue, 04 February 2020 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon Smailus
Is there a solution for this? Searching and viewing email files is
problematic.

On Wednesday, January 1, 2020 at 9:46:28 AM UTC, CTM Engineering wrote:
>
>> Maarten Onland wrote:
>>
>> I have a problem with mail messages showing up as plain text in the
> preview window and in the popovers, however they do show correctly
> formatted in the "Quick Look" screens.
>
> Yes, for an obscure reason, on 10.15 the Quick Look engine can't be used
> directly from FoxTrot for emlx files, although there is no problem with
> other file types, and the Quick Look window itself (which lacks
> highlighting etc) is OK.
>
> Thanks for the report
>
> Jérôme - Foxtrot Engineering
Re: only mail messages (emlx files) showing as plain text in preview and quick look window (all other file types are correctly formatted) [message #996 is a reply to message #991] Fri, 07 February 2020 11:47 Go to previous message
FoxTrot Engineering
Simon Smailus wrote:

> Is there a solution for this? Searching and viewing email files is problematic.

In macOS 10.15 (Catalina), Apple has changed how some Quick Look previews are implemented; it was previously possible to hijack the Quick Look previews in order to display them in a custom view and to highlight and navigate through found occurrences, but this is unfortunately no longer the case for Mail messages.

You can either view the plain text version of the document (which supports highlighting and navigation), or click the Quick Look toolbar icon to view the rich Quick Look preview in the Quick Look window (with no highlighting or navigation).

We are investigating how to show the rich Quick Look preview directly in FoxTrot's preview pane, but this still won't allow highlighting or navigation.

Jérôme - Foxtrot Engineering

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Previous Topic: Mbox files
Next Topic: EML Quicklook plugin for Catalina
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:46:07 GMT+1 2024