FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Added New Index. System not happy about it
Added New Index. System not happy about it [message #976] Wed, 01 January 2020 20:07 Go to next message
Mark Friedman
I have an external 8TB hard drive I use for near-line photo storage.

When I created an index for this, I got the (error?) message: *Your index
seems very slow to build (About 2 hours and 10 minutes remaining). There
are 41,046 files and the system says it will take about 4 hours to
index the content.*

I don't know WHY it's going to take so long: There* folder contains 95%
images.* Unless Foxtrot is reading the metadata for each image. Is it?

The external drive has a USB-3 connection.

I'm running v7.0b4 build 2221.
Re: Added New Index. System not happy about it [message #977 is a reply to message #976] Thu, 02 January 2020 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
> Mark Friedman wrote:
>
> When I created an index for this, I got the (error?) message: Your index seems very slow to build (About 2 hours and 10 minutes remaining). There are 41,046 files and the system says it will take about 4 hours to index the content.
>
> I don't know WHY it's going to take so long: There folder contains 95% images. Unless Foxtrot is reading the metadata for each image. Is it?

This is not an "error message", but an information message to let you read our FAQ regarding performance.

Sometimes the estimated time is wrong when indexing has just started (for example, if your external drive had to spin up…), so the final version will wait a bit longer that the estimation is more accurate, before displaying this message.

Did it actually take more than two hours to build your index? Yes, foxtrot reads the metadata for each image (unless if you have unchecked the "image" type in the "index contents of files" list), and the Spotlight metadata importer is quite slow processing some file types (large Photoshop files for sure, maybe some raw formats as well).

Jérôme - Foxtrot Engineering

--

---

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Re: Added New Index. System not happy about it [message #978 is a reply to message #977] Thu, 02 January 2020 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Friedman
Thanks for the information, Jérôme.

That implies, but does that mean I can look for images created with a specific lens (assuming that information is in the metadata)?

Thank you

Mark R Friedman, Photographer (Ret.)
35-46 74 St., Apt 320
Jackson Heights, NY 11372
(929) 424-5500

Gallery

> On Jan 2, 2020, at 4:20 AM, Foxtrot Engineering wrote:
>
>> Mark Friedman wrote:
>>
>> When I created an index for this, I got the (error?) message: Your index seems very slow to build (About 2 hours and 10 minutes remaining). There are 41,046 files and the system says it will take about 4 hours to index the content.
>>
>> I don't know WHY it's going to take so long: There folder contains 95% images. Unless Foxtrot is reading the metadata for each image. Is it?
>
> This is not an "error message", but an information message to let you read our FAQ regarding performance.
>
> Sometimes the estimated time is wrong when indexing has just started (for example, if your external drive had to spin up…), so the final version will wait a bit longer that the estimation is more accurate, before displaying this message.
>
> Did it actually take more than two hours to build your index? Yes, foxtrot reads the metadata for each image (unless if you have unchecked the "image" type in the "index contents of files" list), and the Spotlight metadata importer is quite slow processing some file types (large Photoshop files for sure, maybe some raw formats as well).
>
> Jérôme - Foxtrot Engineering
>
> --
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "foxtrot-search" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/foxtrot-search/ehKIPMsSVks /unsubscribe.
> To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to foxtrot-search+unsubscribe«~at~»googlegroups«|dot|»com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/foxtrot-search/633DE83B-8F 8C-4677-A970-F7656611F3E6%40ctmdev.com.

--

---
Re: Added New Index. System not happy about it [message #979 is a reply to message #976] Thu, 02 January 2020 16:11 Go to previous message
Mark Friedman
As it's indexing this network volume, the system says it's Indexing File
Names. Is the metadata read and stored as part of this process?

On Wednesday, January 1, 2020 at 2:07:52 PM UTC-5, Mark Friedman wrote:
>
> I have an external 8TB hard drive I use for near-line photo storage.
>
> When I created an index for this, I got the (error?) message: *Your
> index seems very slow to build (About 2 hours and 10 minutes remaining).
> There are 41,046 files and the system says it will take about 4 hours to
> index the content.*
>
> I don't know WHY it's going to take so long: There* folder contains 95%
> images.* Unless Foxtrot is reading the metadata for each image. Is it?
>
> The external drive has a USB-3 connection.
>
> I'm running v7.0b4 build 2221.
>
Previous Topic: Latest Beta issue
Next Topic: Photo Metadata - doesn't appear to be collected
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 11:17:43 GMT+1 2024