FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » EML Quicklook plugin for Catalina
EML Quicklook plugin for Catalina [message #993] Wed, 05 February 2020 02:18 Go to next message
José Antonio Galian
Hi!

Catalina recently broke EML files preview. Mail has a quick look
extension—MailQuickLookExtension.appex-, which is located in
/System/Applications/Mail.app/Contents/PlugIns/, but it no longer works. I
guess it was never Apple's intention to handle EML (as is not documented in
their API), but a side effect of their former QuickLook Mail.qlgenerator.

Does anyone know an alternative? I have only found a very old plugin:
MuttLight. That due to Catalina's architecture changes, doesn't work
anymore.

I expect someone (Microsoft, Freron, C-Command, Devonthink, etc.) to
develop a plugin in the near future. But in the mean time, the lack of a
working EML Quicklook Plugin, renders Foxtrot Pro almost useless for my
Horcrux's email backup (IMAP -> EML).

As a temporary alternative, I am using Apple Mail to cope with the
situation. Apple's plugin works "more less" with Foxtrot Pro. But it a
waste of space to have three times the same emails accounts: one in
Airmail, one in Horcrux and one in Apple Mail.

Thank you very much in advanced,
Regards.

P.S.: Spotlight works correctly with Foxtrot if you install Mailmate or
EagleFiler.

--

---
Re: EML Quicklook plugin for Catalina [message #997 is a reply to message #993] Fri, 07 February 2020 15:20 Go to previous message
FoxTrot Engineering
José Antonio Galiano Sandoval wrote:

> Catalina recently broke EML files preview. [...] I expect someone (Microsoft, Freron, C-Command, Devonthink, etc.) to develop a plugin in the near future. But in the mean time, the lack of a working EML Quicklook Plugin, renders Foxtrot Pro almost useless for my Horcrux's email backup (IMAP -> EML).
>
> As a temporary alternative, I am using Apple Mail to cope with the situation. Apple's plugin works "more less" with Foxtrot Pro.

Catalina's Quick Look plugin for .eml / .emlx files (which is now an app extension, and no longer a "Quick Look plugin") is not "broken", however FoxTrot can lo longer use it the same way as before.

It should still be possible for your to index your eml files (as long as you have a Spotlight importer, for example those bundled with Eaglefiler or MailMate), and view them in plain text (or in the Quick Look window, with no highlighting). I don't think that using Apple Mail improves this situation?

Jérôme - Foxtrot Engineering

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Previous Topic: only mail messages (emlx files) showing as plain text in preview and quick look window (all other file types are correctly formatted)
Next Topic: FoxTrot Pro 6.6.3 (built 1988) installation slows down all of our Macs and even the network when opening the index-file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:01:02 GMT+1 2024