FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » FTP not indexing Scrivener files (FTP not indexing Scrivener files)
FTP not indexing Scrivener files [message #1115] Sun, 20 December 2020 04:12 Go to next message
John Askins
I used to be able to search for and view Scrivener files. A few updates later I no longer can. Yes, I have enabled "Store document textual contents" in managing indices. I have told FTP to index word processor, document, plain text, file archive and other file.

FTP can see the files, because they are listed under Search Sources, but searching for a string returns only "content.rtf" files that are basically one chapter out of a Scrivener document. They are described as "hidden" and as item kind "word processor." Hovering over the content.rtf files shows a pathname that includes the actual Scrivener file, but this is a really tedious way to find them.

It would be extremely helpful if, once this is fixed, the developers include Scrivener specifically as a kind of file to index.

Re: FTP not indexing Scrivener files [message #1116 is a reply to message #1115] Wed, 23 December 2020 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
The following only applies to FoxTrot Pro, version 7. If FoxTrot finds some "content.rtf" files hidden inside Scrivener documents, this is because "files inside packages" and "also include files inside Spotlight-supported packages" are enabled, in the "including" popup menu in the "indexed data" pane, for the folder containing your Scrivener files.

Scrivener provides a Spotlight importer that lets FoxTrot index all the content of its documents (as far as I know, but I may be wrong), however its Quick Look plugin only displays some parts of the content (probably something as the first chapters). So you can find a document, but see no occurrence of the searched words in the preview.

You can choose "plain text" instead of "FoxTrot preview", in the display type popup menu, in the right part of the toolbar. This will display the text that has been indexed, instead of what Quick Look displays, and highlight every occurrences found. Or, if you prefer this or if some text is not returned by the Spotlight importer, enable "also include files inside Spotlight-supported packages", then you will find individual sections of your Scrivener files as rich text documents (.rtf).

Scrivener files are categorized by FoxTrot as "Document", but you can use the "by extension" categorizer to filter the files with either .scriv or .rtf extension.

If you want to search these "content.rtf" files, but not other non-Scrivener .rtf files, nor other word processor files, you can add the following criterion: [then apply advanced filter] [full path] [contains the string] [.scriv/]

Also, you can use the contextual menu on a found .rtf file; the "reveal in Finder" submenu will allow to directly select the parent .scriv file in the Finder.

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Re: FTP not indexing Scrivener files [message #1118 is a reply to message #1116] Wed, 23 December 2020 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Askins
Thank you for taking the time to respond at length. I know you are busy.

I had these experiences when trying to follow your suggestions (my comments in caps):

- If FoxTrot finds some "content.rtf" files hidden inside Scrivener documents, this is because "files inside packages" and "also include files inside Spotlight-supported packages" are enabled, in the "including" popup menu in the "indexed data" pane, for the folder containing your Scrivener files.
FOXTROT FINDS THE “CONTENT.RFT” FILES WHETHER OR NOT THOSE CHOICES ARE ENABLED.

- Scrivener files are categorized by FoxTrot as "Document", but you can use the "by extension" categorizer to filter the files with either .scriv or .rtf extension.
THE “BY EXTENSION” CATEGORIZER SEES .RTF AND .DOCX. BUT NOT .SCRIV.
- Also, you can use the contextual menu on a found .rtf file; the "reveal in Finder" submenu will allow to directly select the parent .scriv file in the Finder.
THE “REVEAL IN FINDER” SUBMENU IS UNRESPONSIVE. THE “OPEN IN EXTERNAL APPLICATION” SUBMENU DOESN’T WORK EITHER.

Clearly there is some difference between your experience and mine. Maybe it has to do with platforms? I am using Big Sur version 11.1 on an M1-chip Mac Mini (however, I had the “content.rft” problem on an older Mini with earlier versions of Mac OS). The Scrivener version is 3.2.2. The FoxTrot Pro version is 7.0.3.

I would be very grateful for any additional thoughts you may have.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 December 2020 20:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: FTP not indexing Scrivener files [message #1119 is a reply to message #1118] Thu, 24 December 2020 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
This should normally not change anything regarding Scrivener files, but I suggest that you use version 7.0.4b4 which runs natively on M1 Macs.

It seems that Scrivener's Spotlight importer is not working on your Mac. Launch FoxTrot while pressing the command and option keys, then check "manage third-party metadata importers". Scrivener should normally by shown in the list (and enabled). Is this the case? If not, make sure you have launched Scrivener at least once on this machine. You may need to rebuild your index, once Scrivener's Spotlight importer is correctly installed.

Re: FTP not indexing Scrivener files [message #1120 is a reply to message #1119] Thu, 24 December 2020 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Askins
I installed 7.0.4b4. I made sure I had launched Scrivener on this machine. I launched FoxTrot while pressing command and option keys and checked "manage third-party metadata importers." Scrivener is not shown on the list. I tried rebuilding the index, but Scrivener is still not on the list and FoxTrot is still showing only .rtf and .docx files. Perhaps I should ask Scrivener support why its Spotlight importer is not installing correctly?

Thanks again,
John

[Updated on: Thu, 24 December 2020 22:58]

Re: FTP not indexing Scrivener files [message #1121 is a reply to message #1120] Fri, 25 December 2020 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
You can copy and paste the following command in Terminal.app to see the Spotlight importers currently known by Spotlight (and therefore by FoxTrot):
mdimport -L
And this command to search Spotlight importers present on your Mac in the standard locations:
find /Library/Spotlight /System/Library/Spotlight ~/Library/Spotlight /Applications -iname '*.mdimporter'
If some importers are found by the second command and not the first one, here are some of the possible causes:
- the application owning them has never been launched (app may be quarantined, or not fully installed)
- the application can be incompatible with your Mac or your version of macOS (32-bit…)

You may try this command to tell Spotlight to load the importer, when it is bundled inside an application; replace {appPath} with the actual path of the application (ending with .app):
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f "{appPath}"

Re: FTP not indexing Scrivener files [message #1122 is a reply to message #1121] Fri, 25 December 2020 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Askins
I tried the first two commands and in both cases the Scrivener importer was present. I then ran the last command you suggested, quit and restarted Foxtrot, rebuilt the index, and tried a string from a Scrivener file. This time the Scrivener file showed up in the results as a full file with the Scrivener logo. So this command must have done the trick: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks /LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f "Applications/Scrivener.app"

Thanks. Your persistence in helping one measly user is impressive.

John

[Updated on: Fri, 25 December 2020 21:34]

Re: FTP not indexing Scrivener files [message #1194 is a reply to message #1121] Mon, 03 May 2021 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Askins
In an earlier reply to this note, I reported success in getting FTP to display Scrivener files in the results panel. Now I have a new computer running Big Sur 11.3 and when I tried using the previously successful command string in Terminal (/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Framework s /LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f "Applications/Scrivener.app") I got this message: "zsh: permission denied: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks ".

I am signed in as adminstrator. Can you tell me how to override zsh?

Thanks,
John
Re: FTP not indexing Scrivener files [message #1199 is a reply to message #1194] Tue, 04 May 2021 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
If you remove the extraneous spaces in the command line you pasted in the message, I think it should work.

Re: FTP not indexing Scrivener files [message #1204 is a reply to message #1199] Tue, 04 May 2021 21:17 Go to previous message
John Askins
Thanks for that observation; Terminal now allows me to execute the command. However, FTP is still not showing Scrivener files as anything but Content.rtf.

I ran the commands that show what importers Spotlight knows of and sees on the Mac. Last time Scrivener was present in both results, this time it is only present in the latter one. You said in this case Scrivener wasn't fully installed or was quarantined or wasn't compatible with my Mac. I am using Scrivener, so I assume it is fully installed and compatible. What is quarantine and how do I escape it?

Thanks.
Previous Topic: using diacritic symbols
Next Topic: System menu (menu bar)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:06:02 GMT+1 2024