FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Cannot Login to Local Host (Unreliable searching - LocalHost issue)
Cannot Login to Local Host [message #1142] Mon, 18 January 2021 21:50 Go to next message
Peter Morris
My hosts file looks like this but I still can't get FoxTrot Professional to recognize the LocalHost:

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost

This is preventing reliable searching.

/index.php?t=getfile&id=11&private=0
Re: Cannot Login to Local Host [message #1143 is a reply to message #1142] Tue, 19 January 2021 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
I am not sure of your situation: are you using FoxTrot locally? In this case, press the command and option keys while launching FoxTrot, and check the "Force-quit agents, and send report" checkbox. This should fix the issue, in addition to sending us a report. If this does not, please restart your Mac.

Or are you trying to connect to a FoxTrot Server running on your own machine? Did you try to connect to the server "LocalHost", with two capital letters? In this case, either the server is not running, or you did not specify a fixed port in FoxTrot Search Server.app (or you set a port different than 50000, and you omitted to specify the port in the connect dialog, e.g. localhost:12345). Anyway, a server running on your own machine, or on your local network, should be discovered by Bonjour and should appear automatically in the left pane; no need to try to connect to localhost.

Additionally, if for some reason you want to connect to a local server without using Bonjour, type localhost in lowercase in the connect dialog; using uppercase should not prevent resolving the address, but the certificate won't be trusted.

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Re: Cannot Login to Local Host [message #1144 is a reply to message #1143] Tue, 19 January 2021 14:04 Go to previous message
Peter Morris
I am just using Foxtrot on a single machine and last night I deleted all of the indexes, removed the software and did a clean re-install and it all is working normally again.
Thanks for your assistance.
Previous Topic: Access through VPN
Next Topic: Are there plans for an Android Attaché version?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:35:09 GMT+1 2024