FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » problems on Apple Silicon finding Scapple files (indexing problem on Apple Silcon)
problems on Apple Silicon finding Scapple files [message #1242] Sun, 11 July 2021 16:06 Go to next message
John Lea
Foxtrot Professional 7.1beta 2 build 2714 (Apple Silicon) running on my mac mini (2020) Apple M1 chip
(Big Sur 11.4) will no longer find Scapple files (.scap)

The same version of Foxtrot running on my Intel laptop doesn't have this problem
I filed a support ticket about this but maybe others might have the same problem
Re: problems on Apple Silicon finding Scapple files [message #1245 is a reply to message #1242] Fri, 16 July 2021 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
We have not tested ourselves, but this should normally work: Scapple 1.4 has both a Spotlight importer, and a Quick View plugin, for both Intel and Apple Silicon.
Make sure to launch Scapple at least once on this machine, so its plugin are properly installed. Then reboot your Mac, and rebuild your index (updating it may not be enough, as your files have not changed).
You can check which third-party Spotlight importers are known to FoxTrot by pressing the command and option keys when launching FoxTrot, then check "manage third-party importers". Alternatively, you can copy and paste the following command to a Terminal.app window:
mdimport -L

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Re: problems on Apple Silicon finding Scapple files [message #1247 is a reply to message #1245] Fri, 16 July 2021 17:21 Go to previous message
John Lea
Thanks for the reply.
I checked with mdimport -L in terminal and on my Apple Silicon machine no Scapple mdimporter is listed although I checked it is there. Nevertheless Spotlight itself uses this mdimporter and Scapple files are seen and indexed. I have reported the issue to the Scapple forums though I'm wondering whether this is a Big Sur/Apple Silicon problem
Previous Topic: [ANN] FoxTrot Search 7.1b2 available for public testing
Next Topic: json file content - not indexed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 16:38:44 GMT+1 2024