FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Blacklist Whole Folders
icon5.gif  Blacklist Whole Folders [message #1243] Tue, 13 July 2021 17:58 Go to next message
Alith7
I Have a folder on my main computer that has some massive 20GB PDF files. Aside from them being too large locking up the indexing, they have sensitive data that I don't want logged. The files are constantly changing, so adding each file to the blacklist isn't really feasible.

Is there a way to blacklist a whole folder from indexing?
Re: Blacklist Whole Folders [message #1244 is a reply to message #1243] Fri, 16 July 2021 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
Yes; however, there is no such option for predefined locations (e.g. Documents folder). But you can disable the predefined location, and add a custom folder for the Documents folder, then add the folder you want to skip to the "skipping these subfolders" list.

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Re: Blacklist Whole Folders [message #1246 is a reply to message #1243] Fri, 16 July 2021 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alith7
So I have something like this:

HD-> User -> Desktop -> Main Folder -> Sub Folder 1 -> Sub Folder 2 -> (more sub folders)

I want to index everything except Sub Folder 2 and it's contents, how would I do that?
Set it to index the whole hard drive, and then add Sub Folder 1 and tell it not to index Sub Folder 2?

Re: Blacklist Whole Folders [message #1254 is a reply to message #1246] Thu, 19 August 2021 12:31 Go to previous message
FoxTrot Engineering
We do not recommend indexing your whole hard drive, unless if you really have to, but only the folders containing files you will likely want to search. In any case, whether you index your desktop folder, your home folder, or your whole drive, add "Sub Folder 2" to the list of folders to skip. You just need to avoid using a default location (e.g. Desktop) but rather add the same folder as a custom location.

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Previous Topic: Installed Foxtrot, spinning wheel problem
Next Topic: Foxtrot Query syntax for exclusion not working?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:39:43 GMT+1 2024