FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » json file content - not indexed
json file content - not indexed [message #1250] Mon, 16 August 2021 12:51 Go to next message
NicM
Hi,

I'm evaluating FoxTrot and have created an index on my minecraft related folders, many of which contain plain text files.

I am trying to search for files containing a string (that I want to run a find/replace on, in a text editor).

I know that at least one of the files I need is launcher_profiles.json, and I was hoping that FoxTrot would help me locate any other files that also contain the string.

I'm searching for the word 'custom', which appears in launcher_profiles.json as '/Users/<user>/Applications/minecraft/local/custom games/<game>'

But FoxTrot is not finding launcher_profiles.json, or any other json file.

My search criteria are

- Contents, any metadata or file name
- Includes at least one of the words
- All indexed locations

What am I missing here?

Many thanks,

Nic

[Updated on: Tue, 17 August 2021 07:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: json file content - not indexed [message #1251 is a reply to message #1250] Wed, 18 August 2021 18:18 Go to previous message
FoxTrot Engineering
.json files are currently not handled as source code. You can however use a FoxTrot hidden preference to handle them as another file type: for example .txt or .xml.

If you choose to index them as xml, you will also need to enable indexing xml files (which is disabled by default) in "indexed contents of files", in your index settings. Then .json files will be categorized as xml files.

To do so, quit FoxTrot, then copy and paste the following command to a Terminal.app window:
defaults write com.ctmdev.FoxTrotShared Aliases -array-add "{type='json'; as='xml';}"
Note that this command is only valid for FoxTrot 7.1; for earlier versions, use com.ctmdev.FoxTrot instead of com.ctmdev.FoxTrotShared

After that, relaunch FoxTrot and rebuild your index (updating may not be sufficient). In some cases, rebooting your Mac is also required (this should not be the case, but this happens: the change you make in Terminal is not seen by FoxTrot until you reboot).

You may also use third party app Prefs Editor to edit this hidden preference, instead of using Terminal.app.

See also our FAQ

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Previous Topic: problems on Apple Silicon finding Scapple files
Next Topic: Installed Foxtrot, spinning wheel problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:37:15 GMT+1 2024