FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Is Foxtrot able to index extended attribute such as "Where from"?
Is Foxtrot able to index extended attribute such as "Where from"? [message #1264] Wed, 01 September 2021 15:09 Go to next message
Atlas
I save a lot of websites to pdf, and these pdf's usually have a file attribute called "Where from". This is very useful because it stores the url of the original website, which means I can easily search for all saved webpages from the same domain name. Unfortunately, it looks like Foxtrot is not able to search for extended attributes such as "Where from". Is this the current limitation, or am I not using Foxtrot correctly?

Steps to reproduce:

1. Go to this website for example: https://writingcooperative.com/zettelkasten-how-one-german-s cholar-was-so-freakishly-productive-997e4e0ca125
2. From the Safari's menu bar, go to "Export as PDF"
3. Now, you should have a pdf that has an attribute called "Where from", and it should have a url from writingcooperative.com
4. Open Foxtrot and search for that pdf using the setting "Contents, any metadata or file name" with "Matches the Foxtrot query", and search syntax [*writingcooperative*]
5. The pdf you just saved will not be listed in search results.

Please let me know if there's a way to find the pdf file described above, using the keyword "writingcooperative" inside Foxtrot. Thank you.
Re: Is Foxtrot able to index extended attribute such as "Where from"? [message #1267 is a reply to message #1264] Tue, 14 September 2021 12:25 Go to previous message
FoxTrot Engineering
This "where from" metadata is stored in the file's extended attributes, which are currently not indexed by FoxTrot; we may consider indexing them in a future version.

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Previous Topic: Rebuilding without files present?
Next Topic: ftp often get crashed after updating to 7.1. How to download an older version?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:31:36 GMT+1 2024