FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Attache ipad and dropbox (attache ipad and dropbox)
Attache ipad and dropbox [message #1285] Fri, 29 October 2021 11:18 Go to next message
Penny
I'm going away and have to leave my desktop at home on which FoxTrot is loaded. All my files are in the ether in a large paid for version of dropbox - which works beautifully on the desktop.

If I buy attache will it enable me to search my dropbox files on Ipad Pro while I'm away? And if so what do I have to do to make it all work?

I'm afraid I'm not a digital native and will need a jargon free response.

Many thanks

Re: Attache ipad and dropbox [message #1307 is a reply to message #1285] Sat, 20 November 2021 09:33 Go to previous message
Atlas
I've recently purchased Attache for my iPad, and perhaps I can be helpful in this. In short, Attache doesn't support cloud-based searching very well. It does allow you to sync with Foxtrot indexes that are in your local wifi network. This means you can only search Foxtrot indexes that are in your home. In my experimentation with Attache, I'm able to sync my local Foxtrot index to the cloud via Google Drive, but not Dropbox. Thus, if you want to be able to search your Foxtrot index while away from home, the only solution I've found so far is to use Google Drive. However, that solution is not reliable and it is not formally supported by Foxtrot, so I'm not sure how much longer that feature will be updated on future iOS/iPadOS updates.

If you're in a pinch, I think Attache is a good solution because there's no other alternative for doing this kind of deep search on iOS/iPadOS. The only problem is it's buggy and I'm not sure how well it will be maintained going forward.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 November 2021 09:34]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Foxtrot is failing to index files embedded in deeper subfolders
Next Topic: BUG: Searching with OR operator and quotation mark
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:59:53 GMT+1 2024