FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Searching files and editing immediately (Searching files and editing immediately)
Searching files and editing immediately [message #1286] Fri, 29 October 2021 11:24 Go to next message
Penny
I'm using FoxTrot 7.1 which I love for it's super fast searching of a large and disorderly number of files held in Dropbox.

I find I can preview the files but not edit directly but must go into dropbox, find the file and can then edit.

Is this a development yet to happen with FoxTrot? Is it because of my set up with Dropbox? Or am I not doing something that I shld/cld be doing?

Thanks.
Re: Searching files and editing immediately [message #1287 is a reply to message #1286] Fri, 29 October 2021 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CTM info
Hello,

In non-digital-native parlance, the answer is "Unfortunately this is not how FoxTrot Attaché Search works". What you would want to do is copy your index file (which you can locate by double-clicking on its name in FoxTrot Pro's Manage Indices window) into FoxTrot Attaché on your iPad Pro. Suggest you do the copy after quitting FoxTrot Pro so that your index files are properly closed.

Then in FoxTrot Attaché you will be able to search through your documents' extracted text. This is the most common way of using Attaché, as the resulting index file should pack a lot of compressed content in a fraction of the original space.

If you need to have a subset of the indexed documents copied and visible with you (works for PDF an with limitations for word processing, spreadsheet and presentations, etc…) create a separate index for copying into Attaché and use the appropriate checkbox to include documents. Evidently this will produce a much heavier index file.

Regards,

jean michel/ctm qa
Re: Searching files and editing immediately [message #1288 is a reply to message #1286] Fri, 29 October 2021 16:04 Go to previous message
CTM info
Regarding your other question, FoxTrot is not designed to enable you to edit documents, just search them. This is why we have the "Open in application" feature, so that you can use the application that created a document to actually edit it.

Regards,

jean michel/ctm qa
Previous Topic: Index automatic updates
Next Topic: Is it secure to update to Mac OS Monterey when using Foxtrot 7.1 ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:55:31 GMT+1 2024