FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » pdf documents with search highlights
pdf documents with search highlights [message #1320] Tue, 21 December 2021 14:38 Go to next message
pkdirector
Hi there,

this question puzzled me for years and I hope someone, maybe Jerome himself, can finally answer it. Why do some indexed pdf documents show up with the search highlighted in FoxTrot Preview while some show the highlights only if I switch to PlainText Preview? Does this depend on the type of the pdf? If if does, what is the criteria?
I would attach two examples but unfortunately the files exceed the forum's bytes limit.

Thanks,

Peter
Re: pdf documents with search highlights [message #1321 is a reply to message #1320] Tue, 21 December 2021 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
Take a look at our FAQ about PDF; extracting text from a PDF document is not an exact science, and we are using a different engine at indexing time, and at preview time. With some documents, the results are not identical.

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Re: pdf documents with search highlights [message #1322 is a reply to message #1321] Tue, 21 December 2021 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pkdirector
Thank you! I did take a look at the FAQ but changing the parser did not help. But I noticed something rather surprising: the appearance of the highlighted text in FoxTrot Preview does not necessarily depend on the pdf document itself but on the complexity of the search! If, for example, I search for the words sales meeting, the highlighted results do appear in FoxTrot Preview. However, if I search in the same document for "sales meeting", I only see the results in PlainText Preview. Same goes for the other query syntax I have tried. Why is that? Can I fix this somehow? After all, the reason people buy the app is because they want to perform complex searches. Seeing the results only in plain text is problematic to say the least.

Thanks,

Peter
Re: pdf documents with search highlights [message #1323 is a reply to message #1322] Wed, 22 December 2021 12:14 Go to previous message
FoxTrot Engineering
Could you attach a screenshot of your query? And maybe a sample PDF document; using Preview.app, you can copy a single page of your document from the thumbnails view, then choose "new from clipboard" to create a document with this single page. Thanks!

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Previous Topic: Indexing PDFs with lots of text
Next Topic: Problems with indexing on Synology NAS with macOS 12.1. and SMB
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:52:38 GMT+2 2024