FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » REQUEST: Please add sort by relative path
REQUEST: Please add sort by relative path [message #1479] Thu, 23 June 2022 14:55 Go to next message
Atlas
Hi. Foxtrot already had sort by Location, but this is only looking at the immediate location of the file, and not the path of the file. My folder structure normally look something like this: Research Folder A has a subfolder called Sources that contains all the source materials relating to the topic, and Research Folder B also contains its own subfolder called Sources. That type of folder hierarchy is quite common. Now when sort my search results by location, unfortunately the Source subfolder from A and the Source subfolder from B are indistinguishable when I look at the Location column, because both of their locations are called Source. I can see that this is valuable if people want to see all Source folders grouped together, but sometimes I actually want to differentiate where each Source folder is coming from, by viewing the relative path.

I understand that the Location Tree on the left hand side is suppose to help users navigate through the file structure of search results, and it's very useful. Unfortunately, I cannot use the Location Tree to select files that are peers to folders. For example, if Folder A contains Folder B, Folder C, File D, and File E, then when I look at the Location Tree, I will only see Folder A, then Folder B and Folder C. File D and File E are peers of these two folders, but there's no way for me to select them using the Location Tree, so ... guess what? I have to sort by location, which frustratingly does not sort by relatively paths. Now, to be fair ... I could get around the short coming of the Location Tree by using regex to filter by full path (now that full path is supported, yay!), but it's just far easier to sort by relative path, and I imagine that a lot of people actually want the flexibility to sort this way as well.

Thanks

[Updated on: Thu, 23 June 2022 14:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: REQUEST: Please add sort by relative path [message #1520 is a reply to message #1479] Sat, 08 October 2022 11:25 Go to previous message
Atlas
Any updated thought on this? Thanks.
Previous Topic: PDF metadata view
Next Topic: "Getting started" guide for FoxTrot Pro peer-to-peer indexes?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:42:56 GMT+1 2024