FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Search for tags in FoxTrot does not match DevonThink
Search for tags in FoxTrot does not match DevonThink [message #1521] Mon, 10 October 2022 08:12 Go to next message
Lou
Hello all,

I am currently testing FoxTrot and comparing the search results with DevonThink.

I have created a search index in FoxTrot for a DevonThink database, and getting divergent results when searching for tags.

I have searched for the tag "Deutsche Post" in FoxTrot. I have tagged 9 files in DevonThink with "Deutsche Post". FoxTrot finds 11. I noticed that FoxTrot not only displayed documents with this tag, but also two documents that do not have this tag - but have the text "Deutsche Post" in the document content.

Does anyone have an explanation for this? Or is this a known bug?

Thanks,
Lou
Re: Search for tags in FoxTrot does not match DevonThink [message #1522 is a reply to message #1521] Mon, 10 October 2022 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lou
Hello,

I think I have found the solution. In the file system the files in question have this tag. But in Devonthink, they don't have it. I don't know how this can happen, but FoxTrot's search result here is more accurate than Devonthink's. I would not have expected that. I am impressed!

Thanks,
Lou
Re: Search for tags in FoxTrot does not match DevonThink [message #1523 is a reply to message #1522] Mon, 10 October 2022 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lou
Lou wrote on Mon, 10 October 2022 08:22
Hello,

[...] FoxTrot's search result here is more accurate than Devonthink's. [...]

Lou
Let me correct this a little bit: FoxTrot's search result is not "just more accurate" - that sounds like it's not quite correct, either. FoxTrot's search result is just correct. DevonThink's is not - or is not complete - regarding the file system.
Re: Search for tags in FoxTrot does not match DevonThink [message #1524 is a reply to message #1521] Mon, 10 October 2022 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lou
Hi again,

I'd like to add something in case anyone else is wondering about the strange discrepancies in searching for tags in Devonthink and FoxTrot.

I found out that the file level tags and the tags in Devonthink unfortunately do not correspond with each other.

When files are tagged on macOS and then imported into Devonthink, the tags are applied in Devonthink.

If additional tags are subsequently added in Devonthink, this unfortunately does not happen at the file level, but only in Devonthink. I don't understand why this is the case or why it was designed this way. But for me, it is unfortunately a big problem. I work a lot with tags in Devonthink and now I have to realize that they are bound in Devonthink and I can't use them for a search in FoxTrot.

Anyway - if anyone encounters similar problems, you know.

Many greetings,
Lou
Re: Search for tags in FoxTrot does not match DevonThink [message #1569 is a reply to message #1521] Tue, 15 November 2022 06:23 Go to previous message
Des Bw
Quote:
If additional tags are subsequently added in Devonthink, this unfortunately does not happen at the file level, but only in Devonthink. I don't understand why this is the case or why it was designed this way. But for me, it is unfortunately a big problem.
If you want your tags in DT reflected in Finder(file system), you should index your file rather than importing them. That is the way to go.

I also have an issue with DT with special characters. Devonthink makes no distinction between #Tag and Tag; or _word and word. The special characters are completely ignored. That is a bummer for a wonderful system like DT.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 November 2022 06:32]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Index msg-Files
Next Topic: Mark searched words
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:34:18 GMT+1 2024