FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Indexing Appears to Start From Scratch
Indexing Appears to Start From Scratch [message #1555] Mon, 07 November 2022 15:25 Go to next message
bingalls
Hello all ~

I'm running FoxTrot Pro on a Mac and having it index a mounted SMB volume. I've seen the index get up to roughly 800k files indexed (I know there are many more to go). Sometimes I have to reboot or reconnect my VPN due to corporate policy rules of max 24hrs connected.

When I reopen FoxTRot and ask it to restart the index it appears to be starting all over from the first file!

Is there a workflow that I am missing to have it pickup where it left off rather than starting from the first file and rescan all?

Thank you!
Bill
Re: Indexing Appears to Start From Scratch [message #1558 is a reply to message #1555] Mon, 07 November 2022 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bingalls
Might add/ask - when needing to quit FixTrot while it is still indexing - is it best to simply quit the app? or should you go into indexing and hit "Cancel"? I was choosing "Cancel" before quitting but perhaps that s what is having indexing start from square one next time I open FoxTrot and "Start" indexing?
Re: Indexing Appears to Start From Scratch [message #1559 is a reply to message #1558] Tue, 08 November 2022 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CTM info
Hello,

Quitting the application will cleanly suspend the indexing and when relaunching, only the files not yet indexed will be.

Regards,

jean michel/ctm qa
Re: Indexing Appears to Start From Scratch [message #1560 is a reply to message #1555] Tue, 08 November 2022 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CTM info
Regarding the fact that you never seem to get the entire set indexed on an instable SMB volume connection, you might try creating two or more indices, and adding part of the folders to be indexed to each of them.
Re: Indexing Appears to Start From Scratch [message #1561 is a reply to message #1559] Tue, 08 November 2022 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bingalls
Thank you. and Yes - I think I will try dividing the indexing into many smaller indexes and see how that goes. We have over 35tbs of data to index. I had divided into two but will go much smaller than that now.
Re: Indexing Appears to Start From Scratch [message #1562 is a reply to message #1555] Tue, 08 November 2022 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
Indexing a new folder or volume is done in two phases:
- in the first phase, every file is indexed by its name only; the progress bar is indeterminate, with an indication of the number of files already processed. This should be relatively fast, however this may take a while for large network drive, especially over Wi-Fi
- in the second phase, files whose format is supported and enabled in the index settings, are indexed by content. This is typically longer, but the progress bar shows the percentage done, with an indication of the number of files remaining, and the expected remaining time

It seems you interrupted indexing during the first phase.

If you had click "stop", or had just quit the app, then indexing should resume automatically when you click "start", or relaunch the app; however the first phase will have to start over (files whose filename has already been indexed won't of course be indexed twice, but they nevertheless have to be processed), then the second phase will start

As you clicked "cancel", the first phase has been interrupted and the index left ready to be searched as is. You then have quit and relaunched the app (no consequence), then you certainly updated the index. In this situation, the indexer starts a single-phase update, which will in fact perform the content indexing for files having been indexed by filename, and filename+content indexing for "new" files. The progress bar will unfortunately not be accurate, as the number of files to actually process have not been determined yet.

As Jean-Michel suggested, creating multiple smaller indices will be easier. And of course, make sure to have a fast and reliable network connection to your SMB volume, or indexing such a large drive could take a lot of time…

Also, if you abort ("stop" or "quit") indexing during the second phase, or during an update, it should actually resume where it stopped. If you "cancel" the update, then all files will be processed again, but only those that have changed (or that are new) will be processed for content indexing.

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Re: Indexing Appears to Start From Scratch [message #1565 is a reply to message #1562] Tue, 08 November 2022 16:01 Go to previous message
bingalls
Thank you for all of this explanation on how the process works!

Very helpful and now I better understand how to read the indexing status and how best to quit our of the app.

I have started with smaller indexes and already that appears to be best.
Previous Topic: FoxTrot Search products version 7.5.2b2 available for testing
Next Topic: Notion App
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:27:20 GMT+1 2024