FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » REQUEST: Please index the name of Mac alias and display them in search results
REQUEST: Please index the name of Mac alias and display them in search results [message #1573] Thu, 17 November 2022 21:21 Go to next message
Atlas
This request is not about indexing the content or target file of Mac alias, because that's actually very dangerous. However, there are users like myself who use Mac alias to store metadata about how folders are related to each other. For example, we might place an alias of Folder B inside Folder A, which indicates that Folder A is related to Folder B. This is way of storing metadata is often more preferable to using tags, because tags could be lost during transit in the cloud. Again, we don't need to index the target file of the alias, but can we please index the name of the Mac alias and display those alias in search results? For example, if I search for the keyword "Folder B", I would like to see the actual Folder B, as well as the alias link to Folder B that's inside Folder A.

Thus far, I've been working around this problem by using Foxtrot along with other search solutions like HoudahSpot, because these other solutions will let me see my alias links. However, as Foxtrot continues to steadily improve, I would like to be able to do more of my searching inside Foxtrot, rather than constantly leaving Foxtrot whenever I need to search for alias.

I appreciate the consideration. Please let me know if this has a chance of getting implemented. Thanks.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2022 21:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: REQUEST: Please index the name of Mac alias and display them in search results [message #1587 is a reply to message #1573] Sat, 03 December 2022 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Atlas
Hi. Does the Foxtrot engineering team has any feedback on this feature request? Is this a "maybe" or "probably never" feature?

Thanks again for all the recent updates in version 7.
Re: REQUEST: Please index the name of Mac alias and display them in search results [message #1658 is a reply to message #1587] Sun, 07 May 2023 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Atlas
Can Foxtrot Engineer please let me know their thoughts on this feature request? Missing the ability to search for Mac alias is getting more painful for me. Please don't index the contents of target files for alias links, but I DO want to be able to search them by name. For example, if I search for "history of pi", then I want to see all alias links with that string in their names, but there's no need to find that string in their contents. Can't we index the FILE NAME of alias links? Mac Spotlight and other search tools like HoudahSpot support this. It's kind of strange that Foxtrot has really power search tools like proximity search, and full path indexing, but it can't search for alias links by name.

Please let me your thoughts on this. I've been waiting for almost half year. Thank you.

[Updated on: Mon, 08 May 2023 15:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: REQUEST: Please index the name of Mac alias and display them in search results [message #1659 is a reply to message #1573] Thu, 18 May 2023 18:03 Go to previous message
Atlas
Can Foxtrot engineering please chime in on this request and let me know if this is a "yes", "no", or "maybe"? As a loyal user, I would appreciate some feedback on this. Thanks.
Previous Topic: New Indexing is not working
Next Topic: FoxTrot Professional Search License
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:48:13 GMT+1 2024