FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Html indexing (Not indexing html files )
Html indexing [message #1772] Wed, 14 February 2024 09:16 Go to next message
MaximD
Hi! I’v one problem. Foxtrot 8 not indexing (I think) htm and html files. Don’t find any words in it. But, I’v so DocFetcher (analog Foxtrot) and DocFetcher find same words in indexed files. (Mac OS Sonoma). What’s problem with Foxtrot in this case?
Re: Html indexing [message #1775 is a reply to message #1772] Wed, 06 March 2024 10:41 Go to previous message
FoxTrot Engineering
Try to find one of these files by searching its filename, then option-click on it in the results list (or set the "display type" popup menu in the toolbar to "plain text (last indexed version)"). This will show the text that has been indexed as FoxTrot indexes the human-readable textual contents extracted from the file, and not the raw HTML code itself. Does this text actually contain the words you were searching?

By default, FoxTrot uses Spotlight's metadata importer to extract textual contents, but an alternative method (Gumbo) is provided for situations where Spotlight's importer gives incorrect results. To change this, press the command and option keys while launching FoxTrot, check "manage third-party metadata importers", then enable "Prefer alternatives to Spotlight's importer for: HTML files: Gumbo". You will then have to rebuild your index for the change to take effect.

You can also manually set whether you want to use Spotlight or Gumbo for a specific file, but this requires using Terminal.app. See "Indexing specific filetypes" in our FoxTrot hidden preferences documentation.

If you would like to index raw HTML code instead of parsed content (for all .htm and .html files), see "Aliasing File Types" in our FoxTrot hidden preferences documentation, and paste the following line to a Terminal.app window:
defaults write com.ctmdev.FoxTrotShared Aliases -array-add "{type='html'; as='txt';}" "{type='htm'; as='txt';}"

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Previous Topic: iOS How do I search multiple indexes at the same time?
Next Topic: PDF: text searchable with Preview but no text content in Foxtrot Pro
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 04:19:19 GMT+2 2024