FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » User interface suggestions (or questions)
User interface suggestions (or questions) [message #1776] Wed, 06 March 2024 15:43 Go to next message
DMiller
I'm a new user of FoxTrot Pro (on a MacBook), and it works great. I have a few questions/suggestions:
* Is it possible to customize the font size used in the search results panel? The snippet text is too small (and appears light grey on my monitor, making it even harder to read)
* Is it possible to include the number of hits per document in the same panel? In most cases, I'd rather have this than the calculated rank.

Thanks

[Updated on: Wed, 06 March 2024 15:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: User interface suggestions (or questions) [message #1782 is a reply to message #1776] Thu, 07 March 2024 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FoxTrot Engineering
- yes, you can change the font size from the "viewing" settings pane

- no; the raw number of hits is pretty meaningless if your search string contains multiple words. The calculated rank takes into account the prominence of each searched word in the found document compared to your document collection (i.e. if you search for [brown fox] and have a few documents with [fox] but many with [brown], then each occurrence of [fox] will have greater impact on the rank). It also takes into account the proximity of the words found (e.g. finding [fox] and [brown] in the same phrase would give a higher rank than finding them in different chapters)

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Re: User interface suggestions (or questions) [message #1784 is a reply to message #1782] Fri, 08 March 2024 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DMiller
1) Thanks, somehow I missed that preference.

2) I agree that rank will be critical in many searches. The particular searches I'm doing now are for single words or word pairs across a large set of documents; I need to find and extract paragraphs containing the search string. I don't really care about the prominence of the search string in the document; I just want to find references and want to prioritize analysis of documents with more references. E.g. I'm more interested in a 100-page document with 7 hits than a 1-page document with 2 hits. So hit count would be useful to me.
Re: User interface suggestions (or questions) [message #1785 is a reply to message #1784] Fri, 08 March 2024 18:31 Go to previous message
FoxTrot Engineering
The number of hits won't be displayed in the results list; however, when you select a document, the list of hits is displayed in the header of the Preview pane, along with the number of hits. If you searched for multiple words, you can uncheck some of the searched words in this popup menu to see and count the occurrences of only the other searched words.
Note that the hits in the preview pane may in some situations differ from the hits found for this document in the index; to see the hits found in the index, toggle the "display type" to "plain text (last indexed version)" in the toolbar.

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering
Previous Topic: HELP: How to backup bookmarks and search history?
Next Topic: Can I search OneDrive
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 22:41:45 GMT+2 2024