FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » What counts as "Any Metadata"?
What counts as "Any Metadata"? [message #1530] Sun, 23 October 2022 08:21 Go to previous message
Atlas
In an example case, I want to search for documents with the words "supply" and "demand", AND I want these files to have either the character "‑" (non-breaking hyphen) in the full path OR in the tag metadata. The point of this example is that I want to search for a string or character that could be in either the full path or the tag metadata. The ONLY DIFFERENCE between the following two queries is that the first one filter using "Full Path" and the second one filter using "Any metadata".

First query setup:

(1) First criteria search use "Contents, any metadata or file name" -> Foxtrot Query -> Apply search string [supply demand].
(2) Second criteria use "Apply advanced filter" -> Full Path -> "Contain any of the strings" -> "Ignore Case"+"Ignore Composition"+"Multiple String"+Turn off all other options -> Apply search string "‑"
(3) I changed the default multiple string separator in advanced search to "," which is a comma with no space before or after.

RESULT: 21 results

Second query setup:

(1) First criteria search use "Contents, any metadata or file name" -> Foxtrot Query -> Apply search string [supply demand].
(2) Second criteria use "Apply advanced filter" -> Any metadata -> "Contain any of the strings" -> "Ignore Case"+"Ignore Composition"+"Multiple String"+Turn off all other options -> Apply search string "‑"
(3) I changed the default multiple string separator in advanced search to "," which is a comma with no space before or after.

RESULT: 17 results

I don't understand why filter by "Any metadata" is giving me LESS results than using "Full Path". According to the web documentation on Foxtrot hidden preferences, "The name of the folder containing a file is normally indexed as part of the “other metadata”. This means that tag data and full path name are both part of metadata right? So if I search for something in only "full path" then it should give me fewer results than if I search for something in "any metadata", right? Can you please clarify what's the expected behavior of "Any metadata"??

... or is only the parent folder name getting treated as metadata, but not the full path? But that shouldn't be the case because I can search for strings that are part of the full path (and not part of the parent folder name) just fine when I use Foxtrot Query. And just to be sure I turn on "defaults write com.ctmdev.FoxTrotShared UseRelativePathForParentFolder -bool YES", but the result is the same.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Is it advisable to index html files as txt?
Next Topic: FoxTrot Search products version 7.5.2b2 available for testing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 07:42:14 GMT+2 2024