FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Outlook for Mac importer missing?
Re: Outlook for Mac importer missing? [message #846 is a reply to message #845] Sun, 17 February 2019 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
FoxTrot Engineering
Steve Denney wrote:

> But at some point, the importer for the Outlook application
> seems to have vanished. How can I get it back? (My workaround was to select
> the entire "Library" check box, but that also indexes a lot of system files
> and garbage that I don't want.)
>
> Is there a way to re-add Outlook as a known "predefined location" in the
> Preferences menu?

There are two different things here:

- the predefined location, which appears in the indexed locations when FoxTrot finds the Outlook folder where it expects it to be (i.e. in "{home folder}/Documents/Microsoft User Data" or "{home folder}/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook").

- the metadata importer, which appears in the First Aid window if the Outlook application is properly installed. You can type the following command in a Terminal.app window to see the currently installed metadata importers:
mdimport -L
Note that there is a "Microsoft Office.mdimporter" located in the "/Library/Spotlight" folder, which is bundled with macOS. It is pretty outdated (2007) and does not handle Outlook data.

If you manually index the folder containing the Outlook data (or one of its parent folders, such as "{home folder}/Library"), but no longer have a properly installed Outlook application, then Outlook data will only be indexed by filename, and not by content.

Which version of Outlook are you using? Office 365 or not? Have you downloaded it from the Mac App Store or not? Have you upgraded Outlook recently (or "at some point")? If so, have you launched Outlook since you have upgraded it? Does the following folder exist: "{home folder}/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook"?

Jérôme - CTM Engineering

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------
"I've used PowerMail for over 10 years; it is a simple, elegant program
that has made every necessary upgrade over the years in a nearly
transparent, flawless form. It runs cleanly, never hogs resources, and
does exactly what I tell it to."
Beth Livingston, PowerMail user

Download a demo version from www.ctmdev.com
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------

Jérôme - FoxTrot Engineering

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Is Powermail no longer supported?
Next Topic: [ANN] FoxTrot Search 6.6.1b1 - 6.6.1 Final Candidate available for testing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 07:28:07 GMT+2 2024