FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Support for searching full path?
Support for searching full path? [message #1343] Mon, 07 February 2022 23:58 Go to previous message
Atlas
The single biggest reason why I keep renewing my Foxtrot subscription, is because it supports searching through file contents AND metadata at the same time -- such as the parent folder name. So if the content contains "foo" and the parent folder's name contains "bar", then the Foxtrot search "foo bar" will show the file, even though "foo" and "bar" do not appear together in the content or parent folder name, because Foxtrot is able to search for the contents and all metadata like the parent folder name together. This is a really powerful feature, because I can effectively label my files by putting all related files under one folder, and now all files in that folder will "inherit" that folder's name as a metadata. Without this ability, I would have to do a two stage query, which is not ideal.

However, I just realized that Foxtrot doesn't actually index the full path name; and it only indexes the parent folder name. So if I have a file that contains "foo", and I put it inside a subject folder "bar", and I put that under a topic folder "bazz"; then the Foxtrot search "foo bar bazz" will not give me any result, because foxtrot it will only see that the file content contains "foo", and the parent folder name contains "bar", but it won't see the "bazz" in the full path name.

Is it a big ask to request that Foxtrot indexes the full file path in the metadata, instead of just the parent folder name? Or maybe the capability is already there but I'm not using Foxtrot options correctly? Please let me know.

Thanks for your consideration.

[Updated on: Tue, 08 February 2022 00:00]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message