FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Do html files rely on Spotlight index?
Re: Do html files rely on Spotlight index? [message #1354 is a reply to message #1353] Sat, 19 February 2022 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Atlas
Thank you for inspecting the file I showed. The two machines are indeed on two different MacOS versions, and for good reasons (because I anticipate that certain versions might break my tools). However, I didn't expect MacOS 12 to have an impact on the way files are indexed.

(1) On the machine with older MacOS, I can search for the file and view the html file just fine in Foxtrot.
(2) For the machine with MacOS 12, I cannot search the file's contents. For example, I know the unique string "alfabravo" is in the file, but Foxtrot will not show the file if I search for that string or any string in the file. HOWEVER, the strange thing is that the html file is perfectly viewable in Foxtrot when I search for the file by name, and I CAN search for the string "alfabravo" when I open the file up in Foxtrot viewer (use "View in Foxtrot"). So somehow ... Foxtrot DOES have access to the indexable text of the html file when it opens up the file, but it can't search for it???
(3) The problem is not consistent for all html files on MacOS 12. Roughly half of my html files are indexable and searchable, even though they are created by older versions of SingleFile, and I don't see any particular reason why some are indexable and not others. I actually don't mind Spotlight's behavior because I gave up on using Spotlight (keeps breaking with updates). What I'm concerned with is that the contents of html files are also suddenly becoming unsearchable for Foxtrot as well. Foxtrot has been the reliable rock that I use to search.

In the mean time, can you please show me how to use Gumbo importer to index all html files in a folder? This would really help me, because a lot of my research database has become invisible to Foxtrot. Thank you for looking into this.

[Updated on: Sat, 19 February 2022 12:18]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Safari History
Next Topic: Please help me get my indexing started
Goto Forum: