FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » Please clarify what's the meaning of the "Ignore" settings
Please clarify what's the meaning of the "Ignore" settings [message #1411] Sat, 23 April 2022 13:51 Go to previous message
Atlas
When we use "Then Apply Advanced Filter", there are a bunch of settings like "Ignore Blanks", "Ignore Composition", etc. Foxtrot doesn't have a manual, and I've looked up under the Help setting as well as the Help page on the website but cannot get any details on what these settings mean. Please clarify what are these settings:

(1) Ignore Accents
(2) Ignore Punctuation
(3) Ignore Blanks <--- Especially this
(4) Ignore Composition

In particular, I thought that using "Ignore Blanks" would mean that a search string like "machine learning" would be treated as a single string rather than two separate words, because the space between the two words would be ignored. But "Ignore Blanks" seems to mean the opposite, because I have to use it in order to include blank spaces in the search string. What's actually a "blank"? It seems like I have to turn on "Ignore Blanks" even when my search string doesn't contain any space.

Thank you.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Is there a limit to how long regex expression can be?
Next Topic: [ANN] FoxTrot Search 7.5b1 available for public testing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:55:07 GMT+2 2024