FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » How to match single wild character in Foxtrot Query?
Re: How to match single wild character in Foxtrot Query? [message #1440 is a reply to message #1436] Tue, 10 May 2022 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Atlas
1. You seem to be raising two separate points: (1) Foxtrot search only whole words (2) Modifying the "*" won't work. Is that correct?

2. The second point is confusing to me, because no one is suggesting that we should implement the "?" syntax by modifying the existing "*" syntax. We all know that "*" means only leading and trailing whole words. Maybe you are suggesting the idea to yourself and raising the point that the idea of using "*" won't work? I'm not sure where this line of thought is coming from. Bottom line is, YES, we probably cannot implement "?" simply by shoving "*" in the middle.

3. If Foxtrot searches only whole words, then would it be correct to say that Foxtrot has no capability to implement single-character wildcard? But earlier you said that "We could enhance FoxTrot's syntax so a ? character inside a word would mean "any single alphabetic or numeric or symbol character", or maybe "any single alphabetic or numeric or symbol character, or no character", but that would not allow finding either a single word, or two distinct consecutive words."?? This gives the impression that we CAN implement a new single-character syntax. <-- Maybe the previous remark was a mistake? I'm confused that you say "Foxtrot only searches for whole words", but at the same time you're saying maybe we can implement a single-character search.

Help me understand what's the issue here. Is it the case that Foxtrot CANNOT implement single-character wildcard because it's a limitation of how Foxtrot is designed to search for only whole words? Or is it the case that Foxtrot CAN implement single-character wildcard, but it's hard to do and we don't have a good way of doing it yet? It would help me to see a clearer articulation of your engineering assessment.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 May 2022 22:58]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Problem with search—No index selected
Next Topic: Highlighting text, adding notes to PDFs in the FoxTrot preview
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 19:22:57 GMT+2 2024