FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » BUG: Cannot combine Foxtrot Query's exclusion syntax across multiple search fields
Re: BUG: Cannot combine Foxtrot Query's exclusion syntax across multiple search fields [message #1496 is a reply to message #1495] Wed, 27 July 2022 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Atlas
Thanks. Can you please help me understand these two followup questions:

(1) What exactly is the limitation that you're expressing? I just checked and it looks like I can combine multiple search fields that use Foxtrot query, so can you please describe the current limitation? I need to know what I should avoid

(2) The recommendations you gave will work when each individual search condition on the file contents and on the file names are simple. However, they don't work if I have a complex set of conditions on the file contents and on the file names. For example, "find all documents with the word inflation and mmo within 5 words of each other in the content, but not files that have msnbc and cnn within 5 words of each other in the name". I'm just made up a simple query in the original post to illustrate the problem, but my actual Foxtrot Queries are a lot more complex (it's the reason why I have to use the Foxtrot Queries in the first place). Is there still a way to workaround the limitation?

[Updated on: Wed, 27 July 2022 12:30]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: BUG: Not seeing keyword highlights
Next Topic: Is Foxtrot Query heading toward deprecation?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 24 07:32:15 GMT+2 2024