FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » BUG: Unexpected behavior when using "Does not contain any of the strings"
BUG: Unexpected behavior when using "Does not contain any of the strings" [message #1529] Sun, 23 October 2022 07:56 Go to previous message
Atlas
I want to search for files that contain the words "supply" and "demand", but not part of a folder called "‑‑ Inbox ‑‑", where the "‑" is a non-breaking hyphen and not regular hyphen. My search setup is the following:

(1) First criteria search use "Contents, any metadata or file name" -> Foxtrot Query -> Apply search string [supply demand].
(2) Second criteria use "Apply advanced filter" -> Full Path -> "Does not contain any of the strings" -> "Ignore Case"+"Ignore Composition"+"Multiple String"+Turn off all other options.
(3) I changed the default multiple string separator in advanced search to "," which is a comma with no space before or after.

Here are search results when I use different search term in the "Does not contain any of the strings" condition:

(1) If I use search term [‑], then the query DOES FILTER out the "‑‑ Inbox ‑‑" folder.
(2) If I use search term [‑‑], then the query DOES FILTER out the "‑‑ Inbox ‑‑" folder.
(3) If I use search term [Inbox ‑‑], then the query DOES FILTER out the "‑‑ Inbox ‑‑" folder.
(4) If I use search term [ ‑‑], then the query DOES FILTER out the "‑‑ Inbox ‑‑" folder.
(5) If I use search term [‑‑ ], then the query DOES NOT FILTER out the "‑‑ Inbox ‑‑" folder.
(6) If I use search term [‑‑ Inbox], then the query DOES NOT FILTER out the "‑‑ Inbox ‑‑" folder.

So the last two queries fail while the rest works, and I don't see why it would be expected behavior. First of all, my multiple string separator does not have space, and I can verify that it works as expected in all cases that I tested so far. Second, I've tried the above combinations with other folder names that also contain spaces, and they work just fine. Somehow it's the combination of search string starting with the character "‑" and containing a space that doesn't work. I don't understand the logic of why Query 5 and 6 fails when the rest works as expected.

Please let me know if this is bug. Thank you.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 October 2022 08:01]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Lost Indexes
Next Topic: Preview shows only plain text for pdf
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 02:50:49 GMT+2 2024