FoxTrot Search Forum
FoxTrot Search for macOS Forum

Home » Public Forums » FoxTrot Search User Forum » BUG: Unexpected behavior when using "Does not contain any of the strings"
Re: BUG: Unexpected behavior when using "Does not contain any of the strings" [message #1543 is a reply to message #1540] Mon, 31 October 2022 06:39 Go to previous message
Atlas
Thank you for doing the follow-up testing. I ran another test with sample data, and the result seems to match your finding. At this point, I'm not sure what's causing the unexpected behavior.

Setup of Test 2

1. Created a folder structure that resembles the folder structure from the first test (in original post). Under my Dropbox folder, I created a folder called "[Folder]", and underneath that folder I created a sub-folder called "‑‑ Jot ‑‑". This has the same folder depth level as the first test, but with far fewer files in the folders.
2. I copied and pasted a markdown file with the word "XR" and "VR" in its content at the following locations: (1) One copy directly underneath the folder "[Folder]" (2) One copy directly underneath the folder "‑‑ Jot ‑‑"
3. Create a new index that index the folder path .../Dropbox/[Folder]
3. I then ran all of the 6 searches described in the first post using the new index to search for the words "XR" and "VR".
RESULT: They do give the same expected results, which successfully filter out search results from the folder "‑‑ Jot ‑‑".

At this point, I don't know what's causing the difference between the two tests other than the number of files that I have in the index. In the first test, I used an index with about 30K files, and in the second test I used an index with only 12 files. However, the difference between the two tests are repeatable, because I have two Macs and I've reproduced these test results on both (in the words, on both Macs I'm seeing different search results for the two tests). Something is causing a reproducible difference across my Macs, but I don't know what it is. Thanks for looking into it. I appreciate any help.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 October 2022 06:50]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Lost Indexes
Next Topic: Preview shows only plain text for pdf
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:45:26 GMT+2 2024